1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

TRAVEL BALL VS HIGHSCHOOL BALL

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Apr 4, 2007.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

yes

yes, like when our HS conference tourn last year had an 18-inning championship game.

2. fence

fence Full Access Member

other than at walnut creek, i dont think i have ever seen a hs game that compared in quality to the worst tb game
    my dd felt that hs ball was merely practice for her tb team
    and that was a shame, but to the point
    drama the same, may as well be with dedicated girls trying to improve themselves
    media coverage?
    here in wnc we fought for years to no avail to get something, anything in print from the asheville paper on any team but enka, to no avail
    real softball ?
    2 hr limit on hs games, 10 run rule. wheres your point?
    IMO no comparison

3. EnkaMom12

EnkaMom12 Full Access Member

Travel ball is great for getting a player noticed, but high school ball is so much more fun to watch.
    Hi Fence-the paper is doing a better job of covering all the teams this year-It does help if someone from the team calls in or emails the stories to the reporters.
    Andrew and Romando are doing a good job on the high school sports huddle blog:

http://miva.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/miva?blogs+blog_id=hshuddle

4. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

There's strong and weak in HS AND TB. Better HS compares to strong TB and lesser HS compares to weaker TB.

There is no time limit in HS ball. If you are playing HS under time limits, it must be a local thing.

The ten run slaughter rule is not for speeding up the game. It gives a weak team (HS or TB) a way out of a hopeless situation when facing a strong team.

5. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

My point exactly. The kind of game that gets fans excited.

6. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

HS has no time limit

not sure where you get the 2 hr limit on HS games???? check that; you must be mistaken. don't tell me ya'll have a local rule for a time limit??

7. Mama Duck

Mama Duck Bless your heart.

TB vs HS

Well, have to say that I don't necessarily agree with BB about travel not being "real" softball.

If for it to be real, you have to play on second rate fields with no lights, concessions, bathrooms, etc. then give me TB any day of the week. Granted, you don't go into tie breakers, etc, but it can be just as frustrating to have to travel back to the same school the next week to finish a game because neither school had lights and it was getting to dark to play safely. (Happened last Thurs, 7 inn, tied 7 - 7, had to travel back on Wed only to play a total of 2 innings, Randleman over Trinity 9-7)

The only media coverage we have gotten in the last three years is when our catcher fouled a bee line shot that hit the fence 2 feet from the newspaper photographer that was standing on the hill taking photos of the baseball game going on below us. Total coverage, turning around, noticing there was a game going on and moving to the end of the fence to keep from possibly getting hit again.

Granted, our coaches call our scores in and I try to keep everyone updated on TBR, but other than that, zippo!!!

Also, I know several people who travel to TB tourney on weekends even if they aren't playing and who don't necessarily go to the HS games due to times, etc. The only reason that many are traveling to see the HS tournaments that are going on now is that they are the only way of getting their fix right now, IMO.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

thanks for your updates and may i suggest....

encourage your HS Coaches to join the NCHSSCA as soon as possible and tell him/her that you will join too.

love hearing from ya over here in WNC.:1:

9. dogjaw

dogjaw Full Access Member

Mama Duck

exactly right MD , had to get some players parents with deep pockets and time to help pay for and push for the new lights and upgrades at the softball field last year , most of the HS's that have the less than adequate
    softball facilaties have excellent baseball facilaties .

our head coach will not ever call the asheboro paper because of the disrespect
    to all the girls sports over the years , we assistants call in good stories but the paper chops them down and still put you on the last page of the sports in a 1"x1" box. Do you think if the #1 3A and #2 2A matchup that we had last week was a baseball game would have been on the back page ,heck no ,baseball teams struggleing to have .500 record are on front page with long play by plays .

not many newspapers are as bad as asheboro's courier-tribune , I know the lexington dispatch had a good right up on that big matchup last week .

10. fence

fence Full Access Member

enka mom
    andrew has been a great friend of womens sports since his days at hendersonville times news
    all the respect in the world for him
    glad to see he is trying to continue the tradition at ac-t
    hope it continues
    i am happy for sarah
    hope she continues to do well
    missed u somehow at mars hill- montreat game
    will cross paths with you soon