1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming NW4A games (1-13-04, 1-16-04)

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Big week coming up for the NW4A...

Tuesday:

South Caldwell @ McDowell
    Freedom @ Alexander Central
    Watauga @ East Burke

Friday:

McDowell @ Freedom
    AC Reynolds @ South Caldwell

Any thoughts, analysis on these games coming up...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  2. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

I am looking forward to seeing how that Freedom/McDowell game plays out. I personally think that McDowell will take care of business and set up an exciting match up with ACR the following Tuesday the 20th at ACR. Reynolds is out of conference Monday and Wednesday, before taking on South Caldwell on Friday. It would be nice if someone would let me know a little about South Caldwell. What is their record both overall and conference! What style of game do they play, and who should I watch for come Friday when ACR travels down there! Thanks in advance, and good luck to all this week, stay healthy! :xyzwave:

3. wncsprt

wncsprt Full Access Member

South is 8-5 overall 1-1 in league...Only losses are twice to
    Fred T. Foard, and West Caldwell..Combined records of those
    teams is about 25-1...Watch for senior guards Heather
    Pritchard and Jessica Woodie..The team is not real quick or
    deep...It is a tough gym..Down in a pit inside the school..
    You walk down actual school hallways to get to the gym.

4. nw4a_rules

nw4a_rules Member

i agree... south is tough this year... saw them play a few games... they are a different group without alexis anderson, but they are pretty patient on offense, and play with a lot of intensity (especially at home)... probably the toughest gym to play in in the conference... great fan support, and it gets loud... those girls feed off of that...

talent-wise, the south team is not as blessed as some of the other schools in the conference, but these girls have what it takes to upset some folks on the right night...

for acr, i think controlling tempo will be a key... south is probably not as deep, so reynolds would do good to run and gun, and wear down the spartans... if they can shut down pritchard, south would be hurting...

i see this game being a good one... it will probably be a great game to watch... of course, most folks will probably opt to see the freedom / mcdowell matchup... these are probably the top 4 teams in the conference, so this is a big night...

5. reynoldsrocks23

I appreciate all of the imput on South Caldwell. I really look forward to our trip to the Hickory area on Friday, it should be a good one for ACR. I hope Reynolds isn't looking ahead to McDowell on that night, because it sounds like South Caldwell is the type of team that can do some damage given the opportunity. Should be fun this week, good luck to all the teams, stay healthy! :xyzwave:

6. mtnman

mtnman Full Access Member

South plays Watauga in a makeup game tonight. South better be careful not to overlook WHS. They are playing real well as of late. Just as ACR and McDowell. Don't be suprised if WHS brings home a victory tonight.

7. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

I will also give you a scouting report after watching South at McDowell on Tuesday night.

8. FANtaztic

FANtaztic Junior Member

South smashed Watauga tonight on their home floor 67-41. Best overall game South has played all year, and shot the ball great. South travles to McDowell tomorrow and I agree should be a great game Friday night on the Spartans home floor (last 2 years these teams have matched up great wouldn't expect any less this year. And as for South Caldwell as a team, this is the fastest team South has had in many years, and they are in great shape. This is going to be a great week in NW4A basketball. :D

9. reynoldsrocks23

The Lady Rockets stepped out of conference tonight and blasted Enka 52-30. It really wasn't that close. Reynolds used it's pressure to hound Enka into MANY turnovers and put this one away early. Lot's of playing time for the subs tonight, and they did a fine job. I guess you look at the score and wonder why ACR didn't score more, but the subs played alot, I guess having 4 games in 7 days coach wanted to rest the regulars as much as possible. Oh well, 2 down and 2 to go. Wednesday TC Roberson comes to town, and should pose a much tougher test for the Lady Rockets, I don't expect we will beat them by 27 points again. Then a NW4A battle at South Caldwell on Friday, busy week for the Rockets! :xyzwave:

10. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

I'm looking forward to South Caldwell tonight. I haven't seen them all season long. I know they gave Freedom a good game in Morganton this past friday. But, I think we might see McDowell really go for the kill tonight. McDowell only knows one way to play, and that is full court. The girls just tend to get too relaxed when playing zone, in other words, look for a lot of half court and full court pressure tonight. This game might get ugly early, or it may end up being a very close game.

East Burke is playing at home against Watauga. Being on the home court should lead East Burke to a win. But Helton needs to have a good game, because she is all they really have. If the game was in Boone, I think I would pick the Watauga to win.

Freedom should beat Alex. Central easily, but the way that the Lady Patriots are struggling, who knows?