1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Verbal Commitments for 2005 Class

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by rattdd, Jul 2, 2004.

1. hitman

hitman Full Access Member

Word from a very reliable source is that Cameron Maybin will make only 2 official visits - UNC and Miami.

2. bball23

bball23 Full Access Member

What about Justin Upton? Is he taking any official visits? :thinking:

3. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Justin is a probable top-5 pick in the draft and may go higher. With his future assured, he may not feel the pressure of talking to colleges right now. Don't be surprised if he doesn't commit anywhere until late in the spring. If he does, it may just be to provide leverage in future negotiations.

If any college does sign him, it's doubtful that he'll ever attend, particularly with BJ Upton doing so well in the minors.

All that being said, I will go out on a limb and predict that he signs with LSU in the spring but decides on the MLB draft instead.

4. itsinthegame

itsinthegame Full Access Member

IMO - Maybin and Upton are so good they really dont need "college leverage".
    They do not need the posturing and the charade of the "college route as an alternative"

MLB scouts and their organizations arent idiots. Neither are either of these guys agents.

They shoudnt even waste their time with college visits IMO.

5. ss-05

ss-05 Full Access Member

Upton ????

Sorry guys I have a hard time getting on the Upton bandwagon. I watched him play 3 games in Ft. Meyers trying to see what all the excitement was about. Shows very good speed, didn't move to the ball very well at short, arm was good but not accurate. Everyone can have a bad day but his overall demeanor was aloof, no hustle between innings, lob the ball to 1st base, walk to his position and half heartedly jog off the field. It doesn't help that he would glare back at the umpire on every called strike. He ended the game striking out and arguing with the umpire. When you hear all of this first round draft hype you expect to come out see someone that is fun to watch, playing the game with hustle and enthusiasm, someone that plays with excitement. Thats not what I saw, and I am sure the pro scouts saw the same thing. After the Matt Bush fiasco I believe that the overall make up of a high shool player is going to be scrutinized more than ever. Not trying to bash the young man, simply reporting what I saw and it doesn't come close to the hype. Just wasn't fun to watch.

6. ballplaya22

ballplaya22 Junior Member

I will back up 100% SS-05's thread..................I saw him(Upton) act the same way at east Coast. I will take Cameron Maybin any day!

7. itsinthegame

itsinthegame Full Access Member

Fellas,

Welcome to the big leagues.

It makes no difference - the die is cast.
    He could walk out every hit he gets.

Makes no difference.

Thats the reality. Remember my words.

8. bbq10

bbq10 Junior Member

Verbal Committments

Rook will play two ways for App. Congratulations!!

9. NCBBallFan

Wow ... Big day and a lot of "name" players are coming off the available board today.

Matt Rizzuto, IF, Hoggard HS to Gardner-Webb
    Wes Wrenn, RHP, Wesleyan Academy to The Citadel
    Bradley Holt, RHP, Albemarle HS to UNC-Wilmington
    Tyler Ballengee, RHP, Cardinal Gibbons to UNC-Greensboro

Wrenn and Holt were the two I knew couldn't last much longer. They are both too good! The Citadel is getting a gem in Wrenn. Absolute bull-dog of a competitor with no fear. Pure power-pitcher type. Holt is going to give UNC-W one of the loosest arms in the state ... the guys got electric stuff. I don't know the other two as well.

10. NCBBallFan

Signing Day is approachingThis may be daily now until November 10th when the signings start. The letters should go out overnight on the 9th (or so). Expect commitments to some of the mid-sized to smaller D1's and to some D2's/D3's ... particularly the D2's/D3's who have a great baseball reputation. Once November 10th hits, the recruiting is over and the D1's go into a dead period. For that week, they aren't allowed to make any more recruiting phone calls. If you don't submit your NLI by the 17th, then the next NLI date for the NCAA is in the spring near Easter. The JUCO's start their NLI's up with a first signing date in January. You can still make a verbal commitment at any time, but the actual National Letter of Intent can only be submitted during certain periods.

Remember ... some of the D2's have more scholarships endowed by the university than some mid-sized D1's. Until this year, ASU only had 5 total while the D2's were allowed (most didn't fund) 9. Just an example. ASU is carrying a few more now I believe.

There are still a few of the top-10 players in the state that haven't committed. Don't be surprised by an ACC/SEC commitment coming out this week.

Here is today's names:

Justin Loyd, IF, Kerr-Vance Academy committed to Gardner-Webb
    Alfie Wheeler. SS, Manteo committed to High Point Univ.
    Johnathan Nichols, OF, Smithfield-Selma HS commited to Barton
    John Merritt, RHP, Forbush hs committed to Belmont-Abbey

Congrats guys.