1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Watauga vs Alexander Thread

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by whspioneers, Oct 22, 2006.

1. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

I want to get some peoples opinions on this game. The Pioneers beat East Burke 23-13 in a lackluster game that saw Eric Breitenstein hit the 2000 yard mark. Game is in Taylorsville so the Cougs should have the home field advantage even though Watauga travels well. I know alot of students for WHS is headed down.

PS- Thanks to everyone who has made the trip to Boone to see there team play at Jack Groce Stadium. During our run of success this year the crowds were the biggest in a long time in Boone and thats good. It also helps to all Pioneers that you came out and supported your local team. The team feeds off of your energy and excitement. The atmosphere at WHS home games was the best I saw this year in the NW4A (I guess those 3rd down bells help too). Help us continue it in the playoffs.

GO PIONEERS

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. Pioneer-Pride16

Pioneer-Pride16 Baseball is Everything

WATAUGA!!

eric breitenstein...not only because he is a good friend, or because he is my neighbor, or because he is breaking WHS records left and right this year, as well as his own personal records; will I brag on him. eric has his head on so straight, and the humbleness in which he carries himself is where he gets his motivation. he is a strong christian and i think that shows in how he projects himself verbally and through his accomplishments on the field.

with that in mind.
    alexander being a good team from what i hear...being the uninformed man i am, i still think will have a little trouble gobbling up our feature back.
    alexanders shrine bowl DL will have his hands full with eric on friday.
    i will be one of the MANY watauga fans that travel down to taylorsville.
    IMO i think watauga will come out on top...a fell fought game both ways, but hopefully watauga gets the edge. maybe a little bit of an advantage over Alex C because of their friday loss to freedom? lets hope.

3. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

WOW....what a tough one to call. If this was AT Watauga or had Alexander Central won last week, I would say the Pioneers for sure. However simply because it's down in Taylorsville AND the fact the Cougars let Freedom take one from them last week will make this one a very hard fought game for Watauga to head back to Boone victorious.
    Now with all that said, I am still going with the team that has the best running game and can control the clock and game and that has to be Eric Breitenstein and company. I typically go with the team that can run the ball the best in close tight games. I am subject to change my mind by Friday, but right now....I see Watauga winning 14-10.

4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

If Watauga plays well defensively then they'll win this game. Not bashing AC here but I see Watauga as being the more balanced team.

5. rams42

rams42 Member

If Alexander keeps that same offense they have ran most of the year they will not win another game this season. They spread 3 or 4 wide receivers and then try to run from that set. Harrington is not even a factor in there offense now. They have the biggest,strongest and largest line in school history and dont run behind them.Against Hickory 2-different times they where inside the 10, lined up in the shotgun and never scored a point. Better be thankful for that defense in Taylorsville this year.

6. Fred

Fred .........

Watauga by 16.

7. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Cougars O is missing

Alexander Central has a very good defense. They hit hard and cause a lot of match up problems for Watauga up front. Speed seems to cause the Cougars some trouble and Watauga is no quicker than Alexander Central. The problem for the Cougars is turnovers, penaltys, and problems in the red zone. They just can't get it in the end zone when they get it inside the 20, Look for the Cougars to be very angry this Fiday night.

ACHS 17
    WHS 10

8. Seminolebaseball7

Seminolebaseball7 Full Access Member

Watauga 17
    Alexander Central 16

This should be a dogfight, but I think Watauga has the advantage with Breitenstein carrying the ball.

9. OldRef

OldRef Junior Member

Western Burke County. Lived in the Hickory Area f
    Cougars have trouble

Like I posted on the charlotte.com board. If Alexander can get their Offense going the Pionners will have a hard time winning this one. After seeing all the teams play, AC's Defense is as good as Reynolds not a whole lot of difference in the two. But I never try to second quess a coach, not one of Coach Deal's quality but is he calling the offense for the cougars this year? because it does not look like anything he has done before. They can run the spread some but the Cougars tallent is running the option with the QB & TB they have. Talking with some folks from Taylorsville last week, they tell me they really don't have a true fullback. Well if the Cougars find a way to let #7 and #34 run the ball with #3 on the field and put a TE or double wing, then they would in this old retired football man's eye's be trouble for anybody. But in all fairness I think the problem is that the Cougar players don't have the Heart to play all out, all the time. After seeing their OL and the so called Shrine Bowl Center who did not play center vs Freedom and the so called Shrine Bowl DT who got pushed around most of the game by the weakest OL Freedom has had in about 10 years I see why AC has trouble. If they don't play with heart this week they will get beat by a team with a little Talent and a whole lot of HEART!

10. Seminolebaseball7

Seminolebaseball7 Full Access Member

From what I've seen from AC Reynolds...I dont see another team that compares to their defense. Their size and speed is incredible. I have not yet seen Alexander Central play, so dont get me wrong, but I dont see them shutting Watauga down like AC Reynolds did.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006