1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

We need a new thread with some juice!

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Gman13'sdad, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I can attest to itsinthegame's experience. He has a son that was a HS stud and accepted a scholarship at a D1 school. It was a horrible experience for him. Every nightmare imaginable occured: Being exposed to a program that promoted steroid usage to being alienated and eventually ignored by his coaches for not participating. It was not the only reason for his bad experience, but it certainly played a part.

After his son being told he was not good enough to play in that program, he didn't mope around or allow them to steal his passion. He didn't quit, he didn't listen to the naysayers....and he didn't lose sight of his dreams.

He found the right situation that allowed him to play. He was able to play the position that better showcased his skills...and the rest, they say, is history. Inny's kid reached his initial goal of being drafted and is now living his dream.

There are many Inny's kids strewn across the athletic field at every college and university. Many have quit and a few have transferred, but most won't do what his has done. He wouldn't allow someone to tell him he couldn't...and he found the way to make it happen.

2. PlayLaughLive

PlayLaughLive Play the Game

One other thought...

IMHO, it makes sense to go to a school where you get a chance to get on the field. This is where you can show what you can do and this is the payoff for all the hard work preparing to get there.

One other thought - does your son have good chemistry with the coaches? I don't know (I am a rookie at all of this...) but it would seem that if you find coaches you enjoy spending time with and playing for, the college baseball experiece will be a whole lot better.

Coaches who give a player confidence - while still pushing hard to make them better - are worth their weight in gold.

3. baseballfan46

baseballfan46 Member

Braves, thanks for sharing all of that information...when my son transferred from DI to D2, same thing, it was a nightmare and he didn't deserve any of it. Coach plain didn't like him and made a mountain out of a molehole, alienated him and damn near ruined his reputation...this all by a highly respected (not deserved, I have to say) coach. My son almost gave up his dream but I told him if that's what he wanted then I would back him, but if not, don't let anyone take that away from him. And he didn't and he is so glad. His dream lives on.....And we need to realize that this can happen at any level in any sport...moral of the story...check out any school, program, coach and listen to others who have been there even if they tell you things you don't want to hear and then make your decision.

4. itslife

itslife Full Access Member

This is so so hard to do? People don't share this information until it's to late!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. itslife

itslife Full Access Member

Thanks Gman. Believe me I appreciate everything Braves has told me(on this board and off) and all the information on this forum!!! This is such a frustrating time for a parent. If a parent pushes too hard than he thinks his son is all that. If they do not push enough than they don’t care and causing their guy to miss out on opportunities. We are dealing with the kids leaving, the Coaches not talking to the parents but to the guys, is the program really a good program……. I honestly do not have a clue on how to advice my kid!!!!!!! I think he should go “here” but am I under estimating him? Everyone always says that I am the hardest on him. Let’s say baseball does not work out like he wants – Would it be better for him to be at the bigger school? So should he take the DI offer and take a chance at little playing time but if it does not work he gets an education at a great school. Or should he take a DII with a little bit better chance of playing, still get a great education but from a less known school when trying to get a job later? Our the Junior offer and take a shot at getting noticed by that elite program???? That’s my least favorite but who can say it’s not the right things for him? Bottom line is there really is no way to get a clear answer and it is very very frustrating to this parent. On the flip side any of the above would probably be OK. It will all work out in the end.

Sorry for all the run on sentences. Trying to hurry because I am supposed to be cooking breakfast! The last thing I want to say is that I really appreciate all the information people on the forum shared with me. You guys are the best!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  6. Braves

Very, very, very good advice

7. Braves

Every situation for the families are different. These are very good questions, but they are personal one's unique for each family. It would be difficult for anyone to tell somebody, "this school is not right for you." I don't delve into the academic part because it is personal, but I am willing to give advice on the baseball side.

Although I understand and agree when someone commits to a favorite school and they did so because they love the school, regardless of how baseball turns out; It is difficult for me to understand how a young man can put so much effort into baseball and be satisfied not getting an opportunity to perform.

There are so many things one can discuss on this subject, but the 3 things I sugggest to keep in mind (baseball only):

- This is a Coach's career. It's a business for him. He is going to play those he believes will help his program be successful, so he can continue his job.

- It's a business for the player, too. He is using baseball to help finance is college education. The more successful he is, the easier it is to get his education.

- Decide on a school that seems like the best fit. It presents the best opportunities to play ball. Why is this important? I believe one of every ballplayer's goals is to keep from hanging up those spikes as long as you can. Because once you do, the real world sets in and you have to join the rat race with the rest of us. Be a kid as long as you can...and continue to enjoy playing the game that you have loved all your life. It's hard to do when riding a bench! It takes that passion away.

8. ICU

ICU Junior Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

I know there are many kids that prefer to play D2 (or small D1) over major D1 if the academics are right.

10. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Not sure the thread was headed in this direction but your question is somewhat accurate. But sometimes the situation is not as it appears. We have a lot of this in a particular high school in Guilford County. I used to enjoy pleasant discussion on this topic but it always turns bad. And we're not going to change things so why bitch about it. Plus, I can see some situations where transfers can be good for everyone. One day we'll look back and we need to have good memories of our children and not get caught up in went to what school. These days are numbered for our kids. Let's all enjoy them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009