1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Wearing masks

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by ninesdad, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ninesdad

ninesdad Junior Member

I could be posting this from the hospital, but thankfully I'm not.

My DD is a junior and plays for a 4A high school team in the Raleigh area. She has started for the varsity at 3B since she was a freshman and was all-conference first team last year as a soph. Her team has been to the final four back to back. I say these things not to brag about my DD (okay, well, just a little . . . ), but to show that she is a competent player and knows what she is doing at 3B.

Early on, I insisted that she wear a face mask while playing at 3B. She at first resisted, but has readily agreed the last few years. It's just not been an issue for her. Few teams we face have players who wear masks at 3B. Some wear mouthpieces, others nothing at all.

Last night, a strong batter for the opposing team got around on a change up and hit a line drive into my DD's face. It was the hardest line drive I've ever seen in my 10 years of coaching and watching softball. If you had blinked, you would have missed it--it was hit that hard. She was playing in her normal position at 3B. The ball hit her and ricocheted at a 90 degree angle toward the 3B dugout.

My DD was wearing a GameFace mask. The mask shattered, breaking the main protective bar completely off from just left of my DD's nose to the right side of the mask. Several horizontal support bars also broke off and what's left of the mask is cracked in four places. Despite the damage to the mask, my DD suffered only a small scratch and bruise on her right cheek. She was able to complete the play and the game (with a borrowed mask, of course!). After speaking with several people who saw the play, including my DD's nurse practitioner who was at the game, I am convinced that if she had not been wearing the mask, she at worst could have been killed or lost an eye or at best would have broken several bones in her face. A mouthpiece would have afforded her almost no protection against the hit.

I am surprised that more players at 3B don't wear masks, especially at the HS and college level when hitters have the power to drive a ball into your face with great force. I also am surprised that more parents and coaches don't insist on it. Believe me, I've heard all the arguments for why NOT to wear a mask, including "it's not cool" and "college coaches won't recruit you if you do."

Yeah, I thought it would never happen to my DD just as you don't think it will happen to yours. But it did. . . and once is all it takes to change your DD's life forever. While the risk is extremely low, the consequences are so exceedingly great that I cannot imagine why anyone would want to take the risk.

An event like this has a way of sweeping aside all the softball bravado and highlighting what's really important. Right now, I could care less about who won the game, what her BA is after the game, or what college coach is recruiting her. My daughter's OKAY, and that's all that really matters.

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

close one, huh? just goes to show ya, ya really never know, i wouldnt take the chance......wear a mask

3. tarheelmm

tarheelmm Full Access Member

More and more we hear stories like this. Im glad she is ok and that she continued to play. If an infielder is not wearing a mask, she should not be playing, in my opinion.

4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

agree, its for the good of the player

5. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I'm glad she has a parent who is intelligent enough and caring enough to make her wear one.

Just thinking about the consequences if she hadn't worn one gives me cold chills!

6. 2dddad

2dddad Full Access Member

Why will the NCHSAA not step up and require a face mask for pitchers and 3rd base. Similar posts have been on this board over the years and nothing changes. I have witnessed life changing injuries from line drives to the face. PUT THE SAFETY OF THE KIDS FIRST!!!

7. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Scary moment with a lesson learned... Thank God the mask performed as it is designed.

8. hititfar

hititfar Full Access Member

I see the same issues with batting helmet facemasks with college girls. In the past they did not have to wear one. I believe I have seen all of the girls wearing them this year. My personal opinion is this should be manditory as well. You don't think about it till you see a bunted ball off the cage.

9. bdub

bdub Carolina Bombs Coach

One Tuff Kid

I witnessed this event. The ball came off the bat like it was fired from a cannon. My heart sunk to my stomach when I saw the mask explode. I was very happy to see that only some minor injuries were sustained. And, probably the most impressive thing about it was...after taking the hit, the player flung off the mask and starting chasing down the ball to attempt to make the play.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I wear a hockey goalie mask in the shower