1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Week 4 3/21-3/26

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by mincmi, Mar 21, 2011.

1. justadad

justadad Full Access Member

2 grand slams and multiple other home runs for Cuthbertson......what are the field dimensions........?

2. Baylee Duckdog

Baylee Duckdog Full Access Member

Langdon can rake ---

It's too bad Patrick Langdon had unfortunate injuries that kept him off the field during important seasons for baseball. This kid can flat rake - probably one of the best two-strike hitters around. If anyone is reading this that has college influence, don't let this kid slip off your radar screen --- a sleeper, but only because he hasn't had the reps at the right times. Pay close attention --- very close attention. (great defensive corner man also!)

3. Baylee Duckdog

Baylee Duckdog Full Access Member

Size matters? Not...

You know, it is interesting to me....I guess the Cuthbertson team plays on a smaller field than their opponents??? NOT --- I'm kinda sick of folks bashing the size of the fields. BOTH teams play on the same field - could it be that Providence and Cuthbertson move their fences in when they are batting and move them out when their opponent's hit?

:mr-t:

4. texasleaguer

texasleaguer Full Access Member

"Jinx" for Dummies

Note to self...It's always mid-70's and sunny on game day! Next game is Monday at Indian land where we will have perfect weather.

From Justadad - "2 grand slams and multiple other home runs for Cuthbertson......what are the field dimensions........?"

With regards to the size of the field, it was a little smaller (away game), but I defer to Baylee Duckdog and his expertise. BTW - Cuthbertson is definitely a pitcher's park. If you hit one out of there, you really hit a bomb.

5. NMViking23

NMViking23 Junior Member

We (North) were at Vance tonight but game was in hand early so I ran by to catch some of this game. I missed the first 2 innings, but from what I saw, Boles limited Hopewell to maybe 3 or 4 hits and Conley had 7 or 8 Ks and gave up only 1 Earned run.

Joe Bertone hit a HR for Hopewell and Conley hit a double to help their cause and there was one other hit but that was all for the Hopewell Offense. I believe their lead-off guy had a hit as well. Mallard Creek had a HR as well, but sorry, I was at the concession stand:shiny: and just saw the ball go out.

Looks like another very competitive year for the I-Meck and North has been a surprise so far and we are at Hopewell next Friday.

6. 1down22go

1down22go Full Access Member

Have your coach put them on the schedule

I know these players. I've watched Mangum since he was 7. With each of them, the size of the field is not nearly as important as the accuracy of the pitching they are hitting against. I believe Mangum was a pre-season All-American. Peter Hendel has signed with Carolina and his brother Andrew is no slouch either. All can hit. All can go deep on ANY PITCHER.

While the upper level talent is missing from UA, it is not missing at Cuthbertson.

If you'd really like to see some HR's hit, and if you'd like to see how your players hit against top tier pitching, have your coach schedule them.

7. 1down22go

1down22go Full Access Member

I believe the starter for PW was Craig Brooks. He threw a great game. Hits were hard to come by on him for most last night. Edwards came in to relieve Brooks in the 7th.

Morales I believe was 2-5. Chase Prillaman pushed across 2 rbi's going 3-5 on the night with 2 stolen bases. Honeycutt was walked in the bottom of the 9th to load the bases with 2 outs when Daniel Bayha came to the plate. He came through in the clutch with a solid shot up the middle in the bottom of the 9th to push the winning RBI across.

Morales made two big catches in Center. Just when you thought it was going to be extra bases for PW, he chases it down. Man can that kid run!

Weddington stays in Conference next Tuesday with Porter Ridge at home.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  8. justadad

justadad Full Access Member

Honestly was just curious of field dimensions......my son has played w Andrew for years and I have seen him hit some big balls and he gets bigger and stronger everytime I see him ...............didnt realize there was a debate about field size going on.......

9. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Charlotte Country Day 19....N. Raleigh Christian 8

N. Ral......323 00.......8...9..3
    CCDS......323 (13)x..19..11..3

Pitching:

CCDS Tyler Holloway 2IP, 5H, 5R, 2ER, 4K, 3BB
    CCDS Drew Loepprich 3IP, 4H, 3R, 3ER, 2K, 3BB...WP (1-0)
    N. Ral. Tim McDonald 2.1IP, 4H, 9R, 9ER, 0K, 6BB...LP

Hitting:

CCDS William Frazier 2-3, 3RBI
    CCDS Patrick Brady 2-4, RBI
    CCDS Colin Walls 1-2, double, 2RBI
    CCDS Lee Harrison 1-3, 2RBI
    CCDS Webb Anderson 1-2 2RBI
    CCDS Tyler Holloway 1-3 RBI
    NRAL John Cook 2-3 3RBI
    NRAL Josh Stott 2-3 2RBI
    NRAL Cameron Metcalf 1-3, double 3RBI
    NRAL Tim McDonald 2-3

Runs were plentiful from the start as the teams battled in a slow steady rain. Cameron Metcalf of North Raleigh got it started with a bases-loaded double to drive home all three runners. As they did all day, the Bucs had an answer and scored three of their own in the bottom of the frame. The game was tied through 3 innings 8-8 and it seemed the runs would keep coming. Freshman relief pitcher Drew Loepprich found a groove and hung up a couple of zeros while the Bucs let loose with a 13-run inning in the home 4th to close things out after 4 1/2 innings. Colin Walls drove a shot to deep center on a line to drive in two runs and Lee Harrison and Webb Anderson made two special plays in the field in the final inning to help bring things to closure while the cold rain continued to fall.....the Bucs go to 6-1 for the season.

[​IMG]

10. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Field dimensions

Field dimensions are a factor for sure, but the game is played by two teams at the same time on that field....and the game is fully contested by the hitting, pitching, defensive play, and base-running of both teams.....so for that game, I don't see the big deal. When people start looking at stats (is their a game more suited for stats than baseball?) that is when they get a little touchy about field dimensions. One players 350' drive is caught for an out while another players 350' drive at another ballpark clears everything for a 3RBI home run. I have witnessed a few games in the area with a 300' fence all around (fence is 20' high) and there are a lot of HRs there, but where I see the biggest difference are the routine pop flys that are unplayable as they catch the high fence and drop down for RBI doubles while the outfielder is standing there waiting to make the catch.

I still say the batter that is taking advantage of the shorter fences is still stroking the ball with authority as opposed to tapping out, hitting into fielders choices, popping up to the catcher, striking out, etc...so they still deserve credit, but their stat line is getting a little help.

Willie Mays hit 660 career HRs, mostly in the very unfriendly Candlestick Park, while Roger Maris was dropping fly balls over the notoriously short porch at Yankee Stadium, so it is not a new argument, for sure.