1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Week Two Results

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by mincmi, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

Rocky Mount & South Granville split doubleheader

Game One: RM 4 SG 0

RM: Jim Leggett tossed a 3 hit shutout with no walks and 9 strikeouts.
    SG: Jeff May 2 of the 3 hits

Game Two: SG 6 RM 5

SG: In the 7th inning Jeff May gets intentionally walked which sets up a game winning 3 run "Timmy Tater" over the leftfield wall by Josh Darroch. The Vikings were able to overcome a 5-1 deficit. Nash Blackley doubled and homered in the game and pitched 6 innings getting the win. Justin Norwood got the save.
    RM: Dillon Cockrell started and pitched 4 good innings. Brian Goodwin and Chris Berry each had three hits.

Both games were 7 innings and for me were great to watch. More info later by Coach 27 and Coach F3.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

BALL

Any comment Grayben????????????????????????????????

3. hitittome

hitittome Full Access Member

Respect

To get intentionally walked to bring the winning run to the plate shows me that the coach has the utmost respect for the hitter he is putting on. I am sure it will not be the only time he gets a free pass in that situation.

4. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

South Granville vs Rocky Mount

Coach F3 has the scorebook so he can post the stats. In the first game Jim Leggett got the start for RM and Pratt Maynard the start for SG. Both pitchers were very good. Leggett dominated our line up with outstanding stuff all game long. The kid can just flat out pitch. His fastball was outstanding and his change is the best I have seen at the HS level. We really never mounted a serious threat. Maynard pitched great as well but our defense was not sound and allowed RM to score some unearned runs. RM executed when they had runners in scoring posistion and simply outplayed us in ever facet of the game.

In game 2 Dillon Cockrell got the start for RM and Nash Blackley for SG. Dillon was very good and was lifted I believe in the fourth when Chris Berry took over. Blackley was very good and again some shoddy defense and timely hitting got RM out to a 5-1 lead. In the sixth inning Nash Blackley hit a 2 run hr to make it a 5-3 game. In the sixth Josh Darroach hit a 3 run hr to give us the lead. Justin Norwood came in and pitched the 7th for the save. We were very fortunate to get a win in this game. For 6 innings RM outplayed us and out executed us in every way. I give our players credit for finding a way to win but we have alot of work to do.

You will not find a better coached team than Rocky Mount. Coach Pat Smith is outstanding and manageing a game and coaching as well.

I was very impressed with Brian Goodwin. He really impressed at the plate showing his ability to go the other way and do it with some pop. He also layed down a beautiful drag bunt. Ben Fish RM catcher was very good as well. He is so solid behind the plate. Grant Johnson RM 1b was very impressive to me as well. He has a great approach at the plate and battles. He also is outstanding in the field. RM is a very good baseball team and so well coached.

5. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Nice split Kenny... sounds like 2 excellent games... Looks like Josh's bat has come to life (2 HR in the last 3 games). Good luck this week!

6. baseballfan

baseballfan Junior Member

Charlotte Christian: 8 Northwest Guilford: 7

Charlotte Christian moved to 5-0 on the year by rallying late to defeat Northwest Guilford 8-7. It was a game that saw Christian struggle early on defense committing four errors in the top of the first to help Northwest Guilford score 5 runs on just two hits. The Northwest Guilford pitcher (sorry don't know his name) held the Knights offense in check as they scored one in the first and then did not score again until the fifth. Soph. Jake Watson came in to pitch the fourth thru the seventh and gave up only one unearned run in the seventh. Christian rallied for two in the fifth, after a pitching change they plated 3 more in the sixth to make it 6-7. The Knights were able to get a couple of runners on in scoring position and they both scored on a throwing error to first on a slow roller to short. Just as Christian stuggled on defense early, Northwest Guilford struggled on defense late. I think both teams ended up with 5 errors. I'm not sure if the weather was a factor as the game started around 6 pm in cold, windy conditions.

Winning Pitcher: Jake Watson (2-0)

Charlotte Christian next takes on Piedmont at Charlotte Christian on Monday.

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yeah, I live right down the street. I was going to walk over to watch, but the wind kept blowing me back. I'm sure the wind and cold played a big part in the number of errors. I bet their hands were frozen

8. Coach F3

Coach F3 Coach F3

South Granville vs. Rocky Mt.

Like Coach 27 said, Rocky Mt. out executed the Vikings in both games, a reflection of the excellent job Pat Smith always does each year preparing his teams to play. South Granville used the long ball to overcome some defensive miscues and salvage a split after Jim Leggett's splendid first game shutout. The kid can flat out locate and Coach Smith can call pitches with the best of them.

Summaries:
    Game 1 Rocky Mt. 4 SGHS 0
    Leggett (W) CG shutout, 3H, 9K, 0 BB
    B.Goodwin 1-3 (tremendous bunt)
    Berry 2-3, 2B
    Fish 1-3
    Cuthrell 1-3
    Barringer 1-2
    Maynard (L) CG, 6H, 4R, 2ER, 5 K, 2BB
    May 2-3
    K. Goodwin 1-3

Game 2 SGHS 6 RM 5
    Blackley (W) 6 IP, 7H, 5R, 2ER, 3K, 3BB
    Norwood (S) 1IP, IH, 0 R
    Blackley 2-4, HR, 2B, RBI
    Moran 2-3
    Darroch 1-4, HR, 3RBI
    K. Goodwin 1-4
    Satterfield 1-1, RBI

Cockrell (ND) 4 1/3 IP, 1 R, 1 ER, 3K, 3 BB
    Berry 1 2/3 IP, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 K, 3 BB
    Helms (L) 1 IP, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 H, 2 K, 1 BB
    B. Goodwin 3-4, 2B
    Berry 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI
    Fish 1-3
    Cockrell 1-4

B. Goodwin is such a talented athlete and a tremendous hitter to all fields, and Berry swung a hot stick all day.
    Blackley and Darroch hit big HR, which proved to be the difference in game 2. Leggett was the story in game 1, though. I expect RM to be playing deep into the month of May.

9. Grayben

Grayben Full Access Member

The man in blue is always right!

No negative comments from me. Let's just say that a pitcher has to earn his strikes with Stretchy behind the plate. But, if he can throw strikes with Stretchy, he will be OK with anyone else!!! I was at the game (Rocky Mount vs. South Granville), and agree that Jim Leggett was awesome. I don't remember him going full count with any batter and it was one of the windiest days I've ever seen . ATECH is an understatement. If I was an opposing coach I would simply tell my team "be ready to swing because you ain't getting walked"! South Granville has some big boys. I agree with Coach 27, their defense was lacking at times. I see both of these teams going deep in the playoffs. Looks like if you pitch around Maynard and May, they've got some other boys that will hurt you.

10. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Yes they do... if you arent careful Goodwin, Blackley and Darroch can hurt you too. Shoot Darroch hit a bomb against us and Rocky Mount... you'd better be careful they are for real!