1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What do you say?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Is he moving away or moving toward?

My first thought was "is this kid moving away from baseball or has something else grabbed his attention?" If he has dicovered a passion that will give him long term gratification and he has truely lost his love of the game, then it may be time to cut the cord.
    If it's a female, like in K11's case, then be careful! Kevin is one of the lucky ones... REAL LUCKY... many a college coach can tell you about guys that got caught up in the "it's baseball or me" conflict. Many who chose the "me" ended up with neither!
    The reality of it is, for a young person like this, these decisions seem very black and white, They don't have the "life experience" us older folks have to see all the shades of gray.
    If he looked up to me, I would talk to him about it. It's just going to be a few more years of his life of which he'll have a lifetime to look back on and a life time is a long time to be asking yourself... "what if?"

2. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

What to say......

Braves,
    There are alot of factors in this equation and there is no one answer. That is why I predicated my answer. Athletics can and do play an important part of our lives and some times have a direct effect on life after college. The way you explained this though it sounds like the young man believes that sacrificing sports and being the best student he can be will be more beneficial to him after college.

If he asks for your opinion, then I say give it to him, because if that is the case then maybe he is looking for someone to talk him out of it. No matter the decision he makes, respect that decision and him for being man enough to make it.

I never said that I agree with his decision, only that I understand it and sympathize with giving up a sport in college. He is making a difficult decision, people will always second guess him no matter the path he chooses, ultimately the burden of the choice falls on him, not your or I or anyone else. I just think at the moment, he needs support more than speeches.

Again, differing opinions and mine isn't the only one.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I got the impression that he was tired of the baseball routine: 5:00 am workouts..going to class..practice...and missing out on other extracuriculars of being a student only. He seemed to still love the game; just not all the work that goes with it.

4. Braves

No Kevin. I'm not being critical of your answer at all. In fact, I was a little startled when he asked me. He's not my son. But I care for the young man and I wasn't quite sure what role to play. Ultimately, I did make a decision, but I wanted to hear what other's thoughts were.

5. MTH

MTH Junior Member

Skip the abstinence speech?

6. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Oh.... Let your daughter start a Tee Ball Team at 17. Good choice. If the kid is over 18 thought out his choice and if it is not to play soccer. Support him. Right or wrong as long as he is getting a positive out of it. It is only money :REGamblMoney01HL2::REGamblMoney01HL2:.

7. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Agree.. Like an ___________, everyone has one. It is his choice. If he respects your opinion and ask for it. Give It. IF he was doing something like. I'm going to quit ball and school. Differant boat. We will always second guess ourselves later. As a very wise one told my son "Do not do anything you can not fix". His life now........ :blank:

8. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

What to say?

Braves, did not mean it to come off like an argument, I apologize. You know I value your opinion and have asked for it many times. Going back and reading my post, I could have worded it better. My apologies!

If he respects and values your opinion and approval enough to ask for it, by all means that is definitely the time to give it to him and speaks volumes of you that he thinks that much of you and your wisdom.

You are a wise man and I can't think of many people that I would rather my own son ask for guidance than yourself.

9. Braves

Wow...Kevin!?! I already paid you didn't I :angel1:

10. Braves

Although I am asking for all opinions on this subject, would your answer be different if I told you he doesn't have a father to go to for advice.