1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What is going on at Burns High

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by ilovefootball, Feb 20, 2005.

1. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Thanks for your insight but as CFBall said we try to keep the harsh comments to a minimum. I know what you are saying about Girls sports in general no matter what school you attend. I think if people went and watched some of the female student athletes perform then they would see that they are missing out on something. Taking nothing away from boys baseball but there is no comparison to girls fastpitch. What a game, what a sport. GOOD LUCK TO BURNS SOFTBALL AND THE LADIES ON THE FIELD AS WELL AS ON THE SIDELINES. :xyzthumbs

2. HIGHCHEESE4

HIGHCHEESE4 Junior Member

To All

I'm going to make one more post on this topic before I get ugly because it does seem we have someone really close to this and don't want to admit it because for some reason the coach was in the right....no turning back....period.....end of story....according to them. I have a daughter and I wouldn't let her come within ear shot of a coach that ( if all that has been said is true ) is so one sided. She wants to prove a point.......thats fine........it looks like she has. She isn't there for those kids. Coaches are suppose to be in the kid business. They have to see the big picture and say to themselves "What is best for these kids". Not "what makes me look good or this might make me look bad".She has proven a point alright......she is proving that she just wants to show somebody who is the boss. I don't care if the girls went straight and dropped the class...said softball is first...whatever. A true, genuine, good coach that cares about each of their kids individually, as well as their program, would have sat down with their players, reguardless of whether they were the best players trying out, or the worst players out, and found out why they left. Hashed everything out, then told the girls what she would be forced to do if they were going to be missing practice/games. Make the decision right then. She has done what she needs to do...the players know her position and then they would have a decision to make, BALL or CLASS. Thats not begging players to play...that is simply stating a position that she has to make for the betterment of the team and program. Showing them all that no one part is bigger than the whole. That would have shown all that she cares about her athletes as well as her program. I'm not close to this situation but I am close to kids. I've been coaching for a long time and I've never seen anything like this. I've even seen fellow coaches consult with some of their JV players that would never play a lick of varsity ball before making a rash decision because of a mistake the kid made. This is not a respect gaining thing, a growing pain for the program, or whatever else those of you that want to try and justify this want to call it. It could be a program crushing blow and a coach or whatever you want to call her cutting her nose off to spite her face. I'm sorry if I have rubbed anyone the wrong way but I have alot of passion for coaching and working with kids in general and I think this is a slap to those of us that are out there for each and everyone of our kids. Good luck to Burns Softball and especially to those players/kids that find themselves in a major situation. Again I appologize if I have made anyone mad by my comments.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Before you get UGLY.....know the consquenses!!

Good post otherwise!

:xyzthumbs

4. curverise

curverise Full Access Member

I personally believe that every situation should be handled with the long term consequences taken into account. Sometimes what is best for the program short-term is not what is best long-term. If you get all of this press and end up giving your program a "black eye", then you have showed everyone that you can maintain discipline, but you also show that you have no compassion. My daughter plays softball because she likes it, and because she wants to play it in college. A lot of years goes into making a good player, don't be shortsighted. Give the girls a chance to show their regrets. Just my opinion. Good luck to Burns.

:xyzthumbs

5. HIGHCHEESE4

HIGHCHEESE4 Junior Member

CFBALL

Thanks I know the deal..........thats why I got my final say so before I got too mad. I just have alot of passion for coaching and good coaches. Enjoy this board too.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Figured You Knew but was abit concerned about those who might follow you and not be as respectable! :xyzthumbs:

thanks for all you do coach and remember, "we enjoy what you and others bring to TBR Softball."

:applause: :applause:

7. Carolina Warrior

Carolina Warrior Junior Member

After reading all the messsages regarding this situation and having no ties whatsoever to Burns Softball I commend the coach and the administration
    who is apparently backing her.Making the right decision in a case like this
    doesn't always mean it's a popular one.What about the team?? Has anyone
    thought about the rest of the girls involved or just the 2 or 3 who apparently aren't getting their way.If these girls are seniors and as good and
    dedicated to the game as everyone says they are they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.You can't always have your cake and eat it to.I think
    we need to make all conference before claiming to be ALL State. That's the
    problem alot of kids are having, their told how great they are from T-Ball on
    up instead of how much work,time, devotion,and sacrifice it's going to take to be an all conference selection and possibly all state. Not only should the coach get an apology but also the players who while all this contraversy is
    taking place are out there every practice working there butt's off as a team
    trying to one day win a conference championship or even a state title. You
    never know maybe then one of the girls would be named to an all conference or even all state team.Popular decisions are not always right
    or even good decisions in most cases there just what political people
    want to hear. There is no I in team nor is there any team in I. From a Coach
    to a Coach stick to your guns and good luck in your season.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

welcome aboard!!

9. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Are you saying that you got all that from these posts? Or do you have inside info? You commend the coach and take shots at the players that were cut. All that you concluded from these posts? I am a coach as well but I don't find myself to be without fault or without having made mistakes. I think that if the players cut were cut because the coach failed to get all the facts straight then she needs to consider the players who are cut off the team and recitfy the situation. If the coach did have all the facts then she did make the right choice but I was not able to conclude that from these posts. What about the other players on the team? Maybe they would like them back but find that it would be suicidal to take that position. Not enough info here to side with one or the other. I still say that things would be better if they had communicated. The coach may have still decided to cut the players but at least it would have been all out on the table. Again, Good Luck to the players and coaches at Burns High :agreed: