1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a D1 recruit?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Sometimes, player's names are mentioned on here as a D1 recruit, yet the feedback I get from college coaches about said player is "No way".

I'm curious in what you think a D1 recruit should be?

2. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

A lot of us will talk about the "tools"....speed, arm, bat etc.

I got to talk to a lot of college guys over the spring and fall and they all talk about things like "energy"....does he run on and off the field, "make up"....how does he react to an error or a strike out....and a big one "heart"....:twocents:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. Hapi2BMe

Hapi2BMe Full Access Member

Never will forget a D1 scout telling me a few years back when he was recruiting my oldest boy that 90% of his decision is made between the bus and the dugout . When I asked what he meant, he replied with stuff like - how does he talk to his dad (and mom)? , grooming (go ahead and let a kid look like a hippie - it may not hurt but it will never help. never), how he carries himself, interaction with teammates and coaches, coachability, hustle, reputation, work ethic, character - none of this has to do with "tools".

The scouts have generally heard about a kids athletic upside. But a non revenue sport has no tolerance for trouble makers. Dont believe me? Then name one troublemaker playing college baseball, while the dorms are full of them in football.

That's why from that day forward I stressed to my youngest son (who is now playing college ball) that no matter what, from that day forward he was at least going to "look" like a ball player whether he went to the cages, to a practice, to watch another game, etc. - You never know who is looking
    "Becoming" a ball player was up to him and his coaches. Still is. But he dang surecan look like one!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  4. spectator2

spectator2 Full Access Member

Dbacks20: "energy, make up & heart"..... WOW!!! Sure can't be bought over the counter. Excellent insight.

As far as tools, I'm going to give 4 examples of the type of players that fit the D1 mold, and I hope it will shed some light.

1) The gap hitter that hits many doubles and triples (and high average) with good speed (6.9 or better in the 60 yd dash).
    example: Keith Mauney, Providence HS (Wake Forest)

2) The true bonafide homerun hitter (10+ in a single varsity hs season).
    example: Nate Cockman, Northeast Guilford HS (NC State)

3) The pitcher that throws 87+ mph, and has an off speed pitch that is nasty and can be thrown for strikes consistently.
    example: Ryan Morris, South Meck HS (Clemson)

4) The scrapper that hits for a very high average and steals bases (many times can run around 6.5 or better in the 60 yd dash) and plays outstanding defense up the middle.
    example: Aaron Bray, UNC Charlotte (Independence HS)

These are not your average high school players. If you know these players then you've seen a D1 college recruit. I certainly don't mean to slight all the other great players around the Carolinas that I didn't mention (as I've only named a few). My point isn't to name names but instead to give examples of the measurable tools that D1 recruiters like to see.

To be a true D1 recruit, I believe it's best to fit into one of the 4 types of players that I mentioned above. And yes, it's also better to be over 6'1"+ and to have a lean athletic body with room to still fill out.

Come as close as you can to one of the 4 types of players mentioned above and then add in "energy, make up & heart" and you've got it!!!!

5. Braves

Those are some great thoughts and certainly one I subscribe to. There is another area that is equally as important......grades. Without showing a strong academic talent with your GPA and SAT scores; you will be ignored

6. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Braves...can't agree with you more. One of the first things each recruiter asked my son was "How are your grades?"....thank goodness he got some of his mama's smarts.

7. Braves

Yep...and thank goodness you moved from SC.

You have a PM

8. Hapi2BMe

Hapi2BMe Full Access Member

Good point Braves - As you too well know, grades were the part my oldest ignored and eventually cost him his college opportunity.( Remember how I used to kid that he couldn't spell SAT if you spotted him 2 letters???) Unfortunately, that was TRUE. As Daddy used to say, Son if you want to be dumb, you are going to have to be real strong; now he's working hard at being strong! Help him Lord.

Conversely I have seen programs show interest in a kid they had never seen play - they just had seen his SAT!! FOr example. had more than 1 scout in Jupiter inquire about kids on our roster based on their SAT's

No mater how skilled or gifted you are as an athlete, you better be able to handle the student-part of student-athlete!!

9. Braves

You are truly a unique person Hapi. There is absolutely no one that can make me smile, laugh or cry...sometimes in the same sentence like you do. I luv ya my ol' friend. I heard from Jr. that you might be making a move?

10. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

i agree with the above post. you have to have the special tools and the heart and desire, and the grades etc. etc.
    the next thing is to be seen and have a great day while you are being seen. i have had some great players that never got " the looks" i thought they should have, and some get them when i never thought they would. being at the right place at the right time and with the right person also helps. i wish there was a secret formula that you could look at to see who is a "prospect" or who isn't there are many different views out there (college or pro) on who is or isn't a prospect.