1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a D1 recruit?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

ain't dat da trut. That's why I thought it would be interesting to read what people think about this topic.

2. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Lip Service

From our experience, it seems college coaches only pay lip service to how a kid plays the game, what kind of kid he is, what kind of student he is, even the onfield results. They are only really interested in stud athletes. My son has been lights out on the mound for the last eighteen months, is #1 in his class, led his team to the #3 final state 4A ranking, and has the heart of a lion, has a 1340 SAT, AND HAS NO OFFERS!. Has outpitched many kids who have already signed D1. Gave up one ER the entire fall for the Cubs AND HAS NO OFFERS. He struck out 124 batters in 76 IPs as a junior against some of the toughest comp in the state and HAS NO OFFERS. All because he is small and low 80s on the gun.
    I am curious. Would anyone else be frustrated if this was your son's situation.

3. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

Have you asked college coaches/scouts why? Have you tried getting an unbiased opinion? Must be a piece of this puzzle missing.

4. BaseballMan

Missing Piece

The missing piece is the velocity. Coaches are just scared to take a kid that doesn't fit the mold everyone else is looking for. Tough to tell a kid that no matter how hard he works, no matter how much success he has, he's just too small to be a D1 college pitcher. All I know is that if he ever got a chance to pitch against the UNCs, States, etc. then my money would be on his team in that game. I've seen him rise to the occasion too many times to bet against him.

5. Braves

Why is it important to you that he pitches for a D1 school? Many players that sign with a D1 school will be lucky if they make the travel team.

6. Braves

Let me say this. Your son is an excellent pitcher. IMO, he will be successful on the mound no matter where he ends up. The most important thing is that he attends the school that really wants him....no matter where that is.

One's heart is hard to measure and rarely noticed. There are so many players that fit the mold of what the major schools are looking for, that they don't have to threaten their careers by taking a risk on a kid that doesn't fit that mold. It is unfair and at times, sad, but true nonetheless.

One of the good things about rejection of any kind....it is a very motivating tool! I have no doubt that your son will land on his feet and reach the dreams that he has.

one other thing....there are many, many more signings in the spring than the fall. The process is in it's infancy stage.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  7. BaseballMan

Thanks, Braves

Everyone has been telling me its early. I am not dead set on him playing high D1 but he may end up there for scholastic reasons. My frustrations have just been watching the signings and knowing that Mac can pitch with all of those guys. The good thing is that he doesn't appear to be as frustrated as I am.

8. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

baseballman,
    you are right that it seems some or most colleges are set in a certain range that a player must have to be considered a true D-1 prospect.
    they must fit a certain size, velocity, speed, etc. unfortunately this is the way it is and probably will always be. they are looking for projectability. this is sometimes very frustrating for the high school coaches as well. we see a player performing lights out day after day, and can't get some of the college coaches to take a SERIOUS look at them. a lot of this is because they are busy, and have seen the smaller( etc) players fail to perform for them later.
    it can be very frustrating but that is life.
    there are many good d-2 schools etc. if your kid goes to one of these, he is likely to get more playing time and have a great experience. (we all hope so)

9. Hapi2BMe

Hapi2BMe Full Access Member

Rambling. . . .

Nothing, absolutely nothing, that I know of equals the angst that a father feels at times for his son when things don't seem fair. And nothing equals the joy when we see them "succeed."
    I can (we all can) call on memories that take me to the cellar when I remember a boot, an missed bunt, a strikeout at a critical juncture.

I can also call on memories that take me to the mountaintop when I remember him striking out a kid in the bottom of the 6th when he was 10, or burning the centerfielder to drive in the winning run in high school, making a diving backhand to get the final out or signing that letter of intent.

But here's the point: when my kid "burned" an outfielder, some other dad was dying inside because his kid let the ball go over his head. When my kid struck out, some other dad was glowing over the pitch his kid threw. So how can success be real when another "suffers"? Is that really success? Or is the truth somewhere in the middle? Isn't life really learning that what really matters isnt what happens to me, but how I react to what happens??????

FYI - my son had his heart on a particular school when he was a jr. They appeared extremely interested as well. They recruited us hard, led us along, and right when they were about to make an offer - we thought - they told us they weren't recruiting any more position players. He was crushed. I wanted to fistfight a coaching staff.(Think I coulda taken one of them) "Liars!!!!" I thought. But we prayed (yeah - and I asked forgiveness) and put it behind us (he did better than me) .

Looking back, I think that "rejection" was the best thing that ever happened to my son. It made him more determined, more humble, and more dedicated to work. Then, along came multiple opportunities - and the one he took I can truly say is a much, much better fit for him. I have never seen him happier or more excited!

Where's the lesson?
    1. Sometimes, life just aint fair. Some get noticed. Some - just as deserving dont. We have 2 choices - quit or get better
    2. What we sometimes see as failure is really the best thing that ever happened - we just need the perspective of time (remember the cross?)
    3. "Success" as the world measure success only teaches arrogance, prejudice or makes us slack off; everything valuable I have ever learned has come through struggle!!!!! ( As much as I hate to admit it)

Sorry for the mini-sermon. I feel for you. What your son needs more than anything else is his father's unconditional love and support. There's still the spring - it aint over till its over.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  10. Braves

Hapi strikes again...............with another poignant post :trophy: