1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a D1 recruit?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

Two things:
    (1)Alot of parents, fans, and players are caught up in the D1 vs D2 comparison for their sons and teammates. Ask yourself this- how many D2 baseball games have you seen in the past couple of years. Or, have you ever watched a weekend "war" between a Catawba and a Wingate. The real point is do you have a good idea of how high the caliber of baseball is at these schools that you so quickly want to group and label? Do you even know that your son or teammate could play for these guys? Wingate had more players drafted last year than UNC-CH, Gardner-Webb, Wofford, just to name a few.
    (2)As a parent, coach , or someone who is in a position to influence are you really looking out for the kids best interest when you push D1, any D1, on the kids? Is there a possibility you are lettign your own ego get in the way of helping the kid be in his best possible place for him as an 18 year old student-athlete? It sounds real nice as a coach to tell people your kids are going to Clemson and Carolina but are you just as excited for the kid going to Lenoir-Rhyne or Pfeiffer?

Not attacking anyone person just wanting to make us all think about the kid more than our own egos.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Fixed

3. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Chief

I think you read too much into my post. The point was that Mac has outperformed many of the kids that have signed to play D1. I did not say that D1 was automatically a better fit for any kid. There is an academic issue here that does not apply to every kid. That is a good thing, no a great thing. But it will affect where he ends up and I just hope that he will get an opportunity to TRY at whatever school he ends up at. He has earned it.

4. Braves

Good point Chief. I, for one, was one of those parents. It was ego inflating when the coach from Miami, Clemson, Vandy, ASU and Stanford called us to check my son's interest in their schools. I'm sure it was for my son, too.

But, in his case, things changed; he he learned many valuable lessons that have helped him to this date. He decided to go to a D2 school for a myriad of reasons. But ultimately, it was where he felt the most comfortable and the coaches made him feel the most wanted. I would be remiss in not saying he had a few trepidations, but I believe those were mostly the adjustment of going to college. But I can say this with complete honesty. Now that he has had an opportunity to emerse himself into the college life....there is no other school that he would rather be. And that goes for all of the big programs that expressed interest in him.

The one thing that caught my eye very quickly is there is just a fine line difference between a good D2 program and a good D1 school. The difference is in what salaries they pay their coaches :D

5. Braves

Are you sure you are referring to my post or someone else's? I understand that Mac is a brilliant student. A trait that I wish I could have him rub off on my younger kids. I absolutely agree with the position you are taking...and I also understand why you are a little frustrated. I can promise you one thing...you can not reach a frustration level higher than the one that I went through during my son's recruiting process. And it has left some scars....but I'm am elated with the result.

6. DaveW

DaveW Full Access Member

Being a DI recruit is nothing if you dont get to play. Id rather play at DII and play everyday than sit on the bench at some big school. Some kids are good enough to be on a DI team but maybe not good enough to play. If you have a kid or you are being recruited for DI, go to as many games as you can and watch as much as you can. Be honest and ask yourself if you are good enough to play at that level. You wont get any better on the bench.

7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

No, I was referring to Chief's post about D1 vs D2

8. Braves

:xyzthumbs...that's the point Chief was wanting to make

9. leftydad

leftydad Junior Member

Baseballman, have you contacted Davidson College? Sounds like your son would be a great fit for that school and they are D1.........They have a hard time getting kids because of they're high requirements.I think the SAT score starts at 1350. The head coach was a left handed pitcher and gave my son his first lesson and I thought he did a good job.

10. Braves

Davidson HC, Dick Cooke, is widely respected as one of the best college coaches in the country and specifically as a pitching coach. Coach Cooke served as one of Tommy Lasorda's assistants on the Gold Medal winning Olympic team