1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a D1 recruit?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. powrptcher27

powrptcher27 Junior Member

i hate to say it, but most left handers that throw "LOW 80s" will get d1 interest if their is some projectability, but if ur son is pretty much done or really is not PITCHING and by pitching i dont mean every once in awhile throwing one up there at 81, but consistantly, then maybe the d2 d3 naia route is for him. And it is a whole lot better to be in a winning college program than a crappy d1 somewhere. And if ur son is more concerned with popularity or whatever it is that goes along with the term D1 then maybe he should stick to academics.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Well, Basballman is in a unique position. First, he has a son with extraordinary success,pitching against some of the highest calibre talent in our state. In his case stats don't lie. Giving up one earned run ALL summer for a powerful Cubs showcase team. Leading his HS pitching staff to the Regional finals in 4A. No, this kid knows how to pitch. Plus, academically, he is very talented. Throwing in the 90's is impressive...but pitching in the 80's is more important. Robert Woodard rarely breaks one off at higher than 84-85 and he has set recrords at UNC. John Hendricks, a lefty, was the MVP of the ACC and his smoke was topping 82. These guys know how to pitch. I can understand Baseballman's frustration with the recruiting process. His son has done everything right...achieved as much as anyone has...yet, has not been contacted. He will...but he may decide to take his academic money to the school of his choice and try to walk on. He really is in a great position right now. To go to any school he chooses because he did his work academically is a position that most won't find.

That's why I know he will land on his feet no matter where he goes.

3. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

Originally Posted by powrptcher27
    This is another great point even if it wasn't neccessarily the point. The most exciting and important part of the college season is postseason. How many low-level D1's will ever have a chance of playing in Omaha, or for that matter, make a regional. Do you want your son do have zero memories of team success from his college experience? Catawba regularly makes regionals and is only one step away from the world series, Pfeiffer has won their conference tournament two consecutive seasons. Not too shabby for teams that are looked down on for being D2.

But to answer the original thread....
    D1 coaches are looking at numbers much the same way professional scouts do. Raw numbers like 60-time, velocity off the mound, arm strength from the outfield or deep in the 6-hole.Catchers pop times. Body types and size. A swing that translates to being able to catch up with 90 MPH.
    There is very little translation of high school stats to the D1 level. It's kind of like trying to find a good race horse and bringing him along for the next few years even if he never won a race before. it's almost like a checklist of athletic abilities. If he meets their criteria, he is what they would call a D1 prospect. It makes it very easy to eliminate kids but not so easy to truly evaluate their baseabll abilities and what they could bring to a program.

4. Braves

Thanks Chief. It's nice to get a perspective fom one that knows.

5. powrptcher27

powrptcher27 Junior Member

Braves it is my understanding that u are well respected in this forum as i have been looking at it for awhile, but as a former lumberton player from a couple years back who has played with the young man and have spoken to several coaches about mac i think i KNOW, and yes he is a fine young man, and my post was more from the words of a couple of coaches, however I do feel like he can pitch at any level, but feelings and "Facts" (aka coaches opinions) are different..
    And as a player at college esp. somewhere i did not think that i would end up it is frustrating but the one peice of advice that i found out when it comes to baseball, college, life, is to appreciate those who appreciate you, if you do this u may not go down the path you think u should take but things will work out for the best

6. Braves

I sent you a PM. My point was directed towards Chief "his perspective"...not to belittle anyone else's opinion. If you read my posts, I rarely if ever disagree with one's opinion. As I mentioned in my PM, if someone takes their time to post their thoughts and opinion in here...I respect the time they took to post and so I respect their opinion.

7. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

BaseballMan

You asked me the question do I feel that Mac can get D-1 hitters out. Well all I know is I saw him pitch this summer and fall against many guys that have signed with high profile D-1 programs and he was outstanding getting them out on a routine basis. There is no doubt in my mind that he can pitch at the D-1 level and be very sucessfull. I believe that he will have the opportunity to play at the D-1 level when it is said and done. He may choose to go another route because he may get and opportunity to get on the field rather quickly at a lower level. It depends on what he wants to do. The fact is you do not have to be overpowering to be a sucessfull pitcher. Your son and alot of other kids have proven that many times over and over. Im sure that no matter where he decides to go to school he will be sucessfull on the field and in the classroom.

8. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

So......what was the question again? Oh yeah. What makes a D1 recruit?

9. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Great Thread

This could be my favorite thread ever. Sheds light on the perception vs reality in recruiting that so many kids (and dads) face. To answer the Davidson question, Coach Cooke and Mac have talked and are trying to work out the details of a visit. I also wondered about Duke and Wake Forest as they have higher academic requirements but we haven't heard anything from them. I'll try to keep in mind what Braves said about it still being early in the process.

10. leftydad

leftydad Junior Member

BaseballMan, I know what you are going thru.......my son is in the same boat,low 80's with good off speed stuff,gets batters out. My understanding when you pitch low 80's they (D1) want to watch you over a longer period of time to make sure you can get batters out. I believe the taller kids will get a better look then the shorter kids.........My son is short also, so another strike
    against him.......It will work out, it did for my son and he can't wait to strike out some of the bigger programs that was looking at him but dragging their feet.I believe our sons pitched against each other....Ashley High School....
    Good Luck