1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a D1 recruit?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. strike 3

strike 3 Full Access Member

Impact baseball not only has the dirtbags travel teams, but they also run some real good individual showcases, with pro style workouts and scrimages. they usually have lots of college and pro scouts at them. main thing is to try and be seen or heard about.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

3. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

Thanks for the link, Braves - guess I missed it.

Very good info.

4. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

5. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

6. jhbaseball

jhbaseball Member

my 2 cents

This is a very interesting discussion and I really feel for the kid that has shown that he can compete and win at all levels but has yet to receive a lot of attention from the college scouts.

I believe the following:

Most college coaches rate velocity at the top of the list when assessing pitchers. Can you really blame them? It is no different than how height matters in basketball or size and strength matters in football. If a kid is a top pitcher that does not have good size or velocity, it does not mean that he can't play D1 baseball. It does mean that he might have to work even harder to find the right match for him. That match might be a D2/D3 or JUCO program.

I believe the other thing that coaches look for is projectability. Is the kid finished growing? If he is only throwing 84 - does he have the potential to throw 90 with solid instruction? Would a tweak in mechanics help the kid to throw harder? On the flip-side, is the kid already maximizing his velocity through solid mechanics thus lowering the expectations of future velocity gains? Body type is also important because the college baseball season is grueling and the body will begin to breakdown over time. Coaches have to determine if a body type will hold up through the rigors of the season.

I think it is important to mention that hitting at the college level far exceeds anything that you will see at the HS level. The HS all-star that is going on to play D1 baseball will likely face many changes in his approach to hitting or he likely will not be seeing a lot of playing time. Situational hitting is the biggest difference you will see at the college level. Also, scouting of pitchers and their tendencies is vastly different than HS. The college hitter today is scary - size, strength and now knowledge of what they want to accomplish at the plate will leave even the best pitchers with a few sleepless nights.

I wish you the best of luck this year and hope that the right opportunity opens for you guys.

7. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

Really informative - thanks for the link!

8. yankees

Flotg - Try Outs are free

Remember that at schools other than the D1's players can go try out for the coaches. My son has been to several D'2 tryouts and has gotten offers based on these visits. You'll get a dedicated look this way and a chance for your son to meet the coach, or coaches. In fact at one school in Tennessee all four coaches on the staff were out evaluating him in detail.

9. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

How does one find out about these - are the tryouts advertised somewhere? Posted on the schools website? Or do the coaches invite the players? Sounds like a good track to try...

10. yankees

Contact the Coach at the school and tell them your son would like to try out for them. If they can they will work out a day and a time to do so. They may request that you do it during the week, or they may do it on the weekend. If they have a need at the position your son plays, and if they think he may be capable of filling it, they will work him out.

I know when this process started I asked my son where would he like to go and why. He really didn't have much understanding of the different schools, their programs, locations, sizes, etc. By traveling to some schools and tying it in with a meeting with Admissions he has come to know more about each program and he has gotten a small sample of the coaches style and temperment dealing with them during the tryouts. It has been a real good educational experience for him and I think when it is all said in done he'll be able to make a decision he'll enjoy.