1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a true showcase?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Plate Dad, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

In the opinion of the board. Is it the certain teams that go? Is is who puts it on? Location? I ask this due to the ones that I have been to have been a mix. I mean. Some have had one/two scouts there, some were more than a travel ball or fundraiser tournament. What makes it for you?????

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Team showcase or individual, or is there any other kind?

3. Plate Dad

Good question. It seems that most individual showcases are for those players that want to get their name out. Not to say this is that bad. If you have the money to attend these. There are what I would call true game players that do not have the funds to attend these individual player showcases. The team showcases to me shows a players talent in game situtations. Even if a player never has a ball hit to him or not. How does he get ready for the play. I guess to me a player at the plate with no pressure should hit the ball with power and distance. BP. If the same player is up in a game situation to move the runner or even bases loaded and he could be the hero with a home run. No outs. What would he do? Swing for the fence or be the team player? I think that both have their good and bad points. It is up to you.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The concept of Showcase baseball has evolved. Initially, the concept was to be recruited by an elite team to play in select tournaments for the sole purpose of showcasing one's talent before college and pro scouts.

The tournaments selected by teams to participate (or in some cases invited) were determined by the success of the tournament in attracting college scouts. It was a win/win situation because the scouts could attend one event and see a great pool of talent in a week or weekend. But the concept also lends itself to a different brand of baseball. Scouts weren't coming to watch a kid bunt. They want to see him hit. Scouts were coming to watch a pitcher throw a few innings and then go on to their next recruit. The scouts would ask the coach what game he would pitch and in many cases, what innings. A pitcher rarely threw more than 4-5 and in many cases threw only 2 innings.

Because of the concept, some people have called showcase baseball -selfish. There may be some truth to the indictment, but it is what it is. It serves a purpose and it's not for everyone.

But it has evolved. With the advent of more showcase teams, you find many are locally based which allows them to practice together and develop as a team. I have witnessed teams doing things that were never done before. Bunting, hit n run, squeeze plays...basically trying to win a game. A few years ago this would have been frowned upon (to take the bat out of the hitters hands).

But here's what happened. Initially, there was only one division of showcase; 18-under, then two; 17-under. Now there is a 16-under group. And each group has it's own mission. 18-under is showcasing to the pro scouts, 17-under showcasing to the college recruiters and 16-under are trying to get noticed by anyone.

But before anyone wants to pooh pooh the concept, I ask you this; if your son was chosen to play for the Dirtbags, Panthers or other elite teams across the state. To have the opportunity to play with some of the best talent our state affords. Would you say- no thank you. Or would you say- where do I sign, knowing you just provided your son a great opportunity to better his chances to play at the next level.

I'm not implying that a kid should play Showcase ball during all of his HS career. I'm a big supporter of Legion ball or other community based baseball. But if your son is talented enough, there is a time and place for showcase baseball. If he is not talented enough....save your money.

5. Plate Dad

I agree with much of what you have written. As for playing for an elite team. I would have to say in all honesty. I would have to really see what the team is about. Success on the feild is only part of it. I have seen teams win and still move players to different positions and rotate pitchers and still be a success. This type would be a better fit of my son. Some choose to showcase a few of their top players for a whole game at one position while using the others as understudies. The charater of the team is very important. My son has played with and against several of the players on these elite showcase teams. I think it is how the program is ran that says lots. Guess that is another can of worms. I do like to see showcase events post who (scouts) may be there. It does lend more credibility to the event. But that is my opinion.

6. Love the Game

Love the Game Member

Braves has all good points. There are also events where you play with your team and events where you show up as an individual and they put you on a team. I attended one of these hosted by Impact at Wake Forest. Our son had several friends playing in it.

All the players were divided up and put on 6 teams, about 25 kids per team. Every pitcher threw to 5 batters maximum or at least 1 inning, whether he got them out or not. You batted in alphabetical order. For the weekend one kid got 4 AB's, one got 3AB's, and one only got 2 AB's due to where they fell in the alphabet. There were a lot of scouts there(10) although they appeared to be mostly looking at pitchers. I'm not sure what it cost but somewhere between 125-225. That's a lot for 2 AB's. Kids came from as far as New York and Texas. Some spent a lot of money for 1 inning or 2-3 AB's. I struggle to see where some got their money's worth. I'm curious if they are all like that.

7. Plate Dad

It is a lot for just a couple of at bats. I understand the concept but as far as value, just cannot see it. I would like to see someone do a few invite only events that did not charge that much or not at all. Looking at some of the invite only events it seems that they might be bettered served to just do an any one who pays event. I do think that some invite events have become nothing more than a regional/national tournament. If you bill your event as an invite only make it mean just that. I can see a charge to cover cost and even make a little. But to say that you have invited someone to play then charge them x number of $$ to play. I think you have taken the meaning away. It is like an invite tryout. I have invited you to tryout for my team. Oh, and by the way it is going to cost you a $100.00. Just does not work for me.

8. Plate Dad

It is a lot for just a couple of at bats. I understand the concept but as far as value, just cannot see it. I would like to see someone do a few invite only events that did not charge that much or not at all. Looking at some of the invite only events it seems that they might be bettered served to just do an any one who pays event. I do think that some invite events have become nothing more than a regional/national tournament. If you bill your event as an invite only make it mean just that. I can see a charge to cover cost and even make a little. But to say that you have invited someone to play then charge them x number of $$ to play. I think you have taken the meaning away. It is like an invite tryout. I have invited you to tryout for my team. Oh, and by the way it is going to cost you a $100.00. Just does not work for me.

9. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

In some cases these events are simply fundraisers.

10. ncsu82

ncsu82 Full Access Member

Bad precedent

Personally, I hate the term "showcase" and wish it would be eliminated from the english language. And I think it can set a bad precedent for a kid who goes out week in and week out thinking he is "showcasing" his skills and the outcome of the game is secondary.
    Bottom line, play the game aggressively and to win regardless of who's in the stands. If a runner needs moving, move him. If bunting, hitting to all fields, stealing a base is part of your game then do what you do best. But most importantly, do what it takes for your "team" to win ball games. You can bet coaches/scouts take notice of players that have a great understanding of how the game is suppose to be played. And all teams at all levels need a chemistry of players with a variety of skills. Nothing bothers me more than to see kids leave the field after a loss but feeling good because they had a good "showing". And I think "showcase" baseball can have that affect which IMO is not good.
    Yes scouts want to know if you can hit with power, run a sub 7.0, touch 90 on the gun, have a pop time under 2.0, etc., etc. These are all things they can get a good feel through workouts. But there's a reason they stick around and watch "the game". I believe they also want to know if it pisses you off to lose, and if you have that competitive edge regardless of whose in the stands. Play as hard as you can all the time, do what it takes for your team to win and be the absolute best teammate you can be. Then let the chips fall where they may. Just MHO.