1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a true showcase?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Plate Dad, Jul 30, 2007.

1. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

You and I are in 100% agreement. I wish it were more about 'team' and less about 'me' however it doesn't appear to be so at this point. Personally I don't like what it may teach someone. It reinforces the 'I' concept over team. I'm not crazy about that.

However we getting off topic. Should HS coaches coach summer ball or showcase teams?

I have no problem with it. It's a helluva lot better than a parent coaching. Who else would do it?

2. deuce

deuce Full Access Member

What makes a true showcase is the players... and what I mean by that is if you want to get out there and get seen, then play w/ the best and see where you measure up. And showcase ball is not all about the players. I know in playing for the Dirtbags we try to win every game no matter how we get there. We may not bunt the runners over in every situation but that just depends on who we have at the plate. Honestly with a man on second with one out im not going to bun Greg Holt, Garrison Lassiter, or Quincy Lattimore. We were 52 and 4 last year so we must be doing something right. And I know for a fact Andy tried to schedule a tournament... NOT SHOWCASE... a tournament w/ the best legion teams and no one would play... and the two legion teams that he schedueled this year we ended up not playing for some odd reason dont really know what happend with those teams.

3. deuce

deuce Full Access Member

What makes a true showcase is the players... and what I mean by that is if you want to get out there and get seen, then play w/ the best and see where you measure up. And showcase ball is not all about the players. I know in playing for the Dirtbags we try to win every game no matter how we get there. We may not bunt the runners over in every situation but that just depends on who we have at the plate. Honestly with a man on second with one out im not going to bun Greg Holt, Garrison Lassiter, or Quincy Lattimore. We were 52 and 4 last year so we must be doing something right. And I know for a fact Andy tried to schedule a tournament... NOT SHOWCASE... a tournament w/ the best legion teams and no one would play... and the two legion teams that he schedueled this year we ended up not playing for some odd reason dont really know what happend with those teams.

4. One Putt

Some good points there Deuce. With the talent past Dirtbag teams have had they were sure to win many games. I don't think many legion teams could compete day in, day out with the DB's. But does that really matter?

5. deuce

deuce Full Access Member

Your right it really doesnt matter... that came out wrong... I wasnt trying to say that the DBs are better than the Legion teams. I was trying to state that we are there for the same reason as the legion teams. Andy always preaches that we try to win and if you concentrate on that then the scouts will notice how you get that done. Scouts are not looking for what guys do every time up... they do not notice that too an extent. Of course if the guy is punishing the baseball they are going to notice. But what they are looking for is tools. That is the new thing in baseball... not the end result anymore. They are looking to see if the swing and fundamentals are there. And I talked to a scout in Georgia and he was a pro guy... but he said "wait a couple of years and scouts are going to go away from the gun completely, they are going to just get guys that get outs."

6. mccormick

mccormick Junior Member

Showcases Are Not The Way

Let's face it, what we are looking for is our son to gain exposure by the coach where our son is a great fit. Yet in a funny sort of way we think we are doing this by placing our kinds in a "where's waldo" format.

We go to a showcase looking for our son to stand out, and we get there, regardless of the number of scouts in attendance, and realize, if we are honest with ourselves, our son looks like everyone else out there.

It is true, if your son is a 88-90 guy, crushes the ball out of the park or off the wall every time, or runs a 6.6 sixty he stands out. Unfortunately for the majority of the 250-300 kids are not from that mold. In fact, I could argue the guys who throw 88-90, crush the ball, and run a 6.6 don't need a showcase either.

Before I throw some food for thought, I want to assure you I am not a college coach and I truly understand each college coach can and will have their own opinion on their approach to a showcase.

Some questions to consider:
    1. If a college coach sees a player get three hits at a showcase, should he make the broad brush statement the kid is a hitter and consider him for their program?
    2. On the other hand, if your son goes and is 0-3 for the showcase should he mark him off as kid who can not hit.
    3. With most showcases providing a college coach with a book with 250-300 names and having kids rotate in and out, and in some cases playing more than one position (at times not a position he plays) how is he suppose to keep track?

So, basically we are throwing our kids into a "where's waldo" type event and I may be speaking out of line, but in an event that makes it very difficult for a college coach to distinguish between a good player, bad player, and the showcase player.

Before I offer a suggestion I guess I need to admit (part of my showcase 12 step program) I am a parent who, must admit he was a "showcase aholic"
    for my kids.

I did them all and my son's received the numerous letters, invitation to camps, clinics, etc...but no scholarship. In fact my one son played on a very good Fall Showcase Team for 3 years. Before you start thinking, I should tell you he was drafted out of high school.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again I would seek out and find an individual who knew my son's position very well and have him evaluate him technically. Have the individual provide key words to identify my son's positive points, and to help my son improve, have him provide us with his weaknesses, along with suggestions on what he could do to reduce those weaknesses. Ask him where he think he fits.

Remember it is interest (isn't this the exposure we are looking for) we are trying to stimulate, so take the positive points and forward the information to the college coaches you and your son has an interest in.

Tell the truth, as once you have the interest, it will be your son's responsiblity to perform to the level you have identified. Remember the true focus is to find a school where your son has a shot at a starting position the moment he shows up on campus.

Al McCormick
    www.mostvaluableplayer.biz

7. One Putt

It didn't come out wrong. I took it the way you meant it. Typically the DB's have had a lot of talent.

Hopefully Andy's philosophy will flow down to the younger DB team(s).

Good to hear that they will become less 'gun' focused in the future. Getting outs worked for Maddux and Glavine.

I follow the 'tools' concept 100%. I learned that here from various HS coaches. You've got to be exceptional at something. For instance, when your son was born God leaned down and touched his arm. Your son is blessed with a great arm which he further developed on his own.

8. 4-6-3-DP

4-6-3-DP Full Access Member

I think this is where a lot of parents are a little misinformed which leads them to being upset at the end of the day. Never once did I go out recruiting and write down anything about what a hitter did on the day (3-4, 2 2B's). I wanted to see what a hitters swing looked liked, how many holes were in it, how quick was his bat, and did he hit balls on the sweet spot. If I could answer those four questions, then I thought I could figure out if he could hit in our lineup. Johnny could go 4-4 on the day I was at a game with two bleeders and two seeing-eye singles. Then his mom gets upset when she calls Monday morning and I tell her I don't think he would be a good fit in our program.

As far as the showcase books are concerned, some of them are very good and make it very easy to keep track of players. These books have a list of the players with a column out to the side for each of the 5 tools and then a column for comments. After a showcase is over, we go through as a staff and see which players had the tools we felt they needed to play in our program. These differed depending on our needs at the time and positions. With these books, its much easier than you would imagine.

9. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

Showcase?

Don't think anyone is watching and paying attention much to IF, OF when their books are closed, down at a showcase during IF, most scout books were closed while the young men were taking their IF, OF. However, one young man had a ball hit far ranging to his left, clearly out of reach, but he busted his butt, and dove and got a glove on it, knocking it down. Every scout book in attendance opened up their books and found this kid and made notes.

I agree with 4-6-3, I don't coach, scout or anything, but coaches, scouts know what they are looking for. 3 at bats are probably plenty for most to know what they need to about a young man's swing. Pitchers probably don't have to strike out 3 in a row or give up 3 hits in a row for a coach to gain or lose interest. My guess they would be looking for size, arm speed, location, ability to throw pitches in different counts, and how you handle yourself on the mound.

Watching alot of showcases, kids do seperate themselves quickly and often times my son and I will argue about how good certain players are. He sees a kid striking out, I see a kid with great bat speed. He sees a pitcher throw 80 and I see a kid who hit every spot and never hit the fat part of the bat.

PERSPECTIVE...........

10. mccormick

mccormick Junior Member

Showcases Are Not The Way

Kevin11,
    Not questioning what a coach is capable of. In fact I agree with all your statements with respect to what it takes to recognize a player, but what I question is:

1. In some events you may have 17-25 players and your at bats may be limited especially if everyone bats.
    2. A pitcher getting everyone out, but throwing 83-84 will get the attention he deserves.
    3. Not sure the return on investment justifies $500-800 (hotel and food) to hope you will get recognized for busting your butt.

Again, all your points are valid, but when there are 250-300 kids I am not sure it is the right place to gain interest from a college coach.

Al McCormick
    www.mostvaluableplayer.biz