1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What teams have shown the most interest in Bumgarner?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Westsider, May 28, 2007.

1. thomasmagnum

thomasmagnum Member

acr is still saving runion for their next playoff game

2. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

If he signs....he will go to "Rookie League". They want throw him to the "wolves" (AA or Triple A) anytime soon. There are some very good hitters in Rookie and Single A ball.

As good of a pitcher as Madison is he will figure out pretty quick..."we're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy".....everybody can hit a 90 plus mph fastball and a curve ball and a change. He will get plenty of time to adjust in his new environment :yes:

3. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

no

I think that MLB no longer experiments w/ immediately taking them from a HS mound to Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park or Wrigley Field, etc, etc. like they did in early 70's w/ David Clyde, remember Texas Rangers, I think.

4. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Madison is still listed at #20 on MLB.com's projections as of May 30.

Link: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...0&content_id=1994433&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

20. Los Angeles Dodgers: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (N.C.)
    Like the Braves picking six picks ahead of them, it's widely known the Dodgers like taking high school players. They especially like young arms, and the Dodgers would be interested in any of the high school pitchers mentioned above should they slide. They'd also consider switching gears and going with Dominguez if he somehow were still around. Going on the assumption he won't, there are still some nice prep pitchers to choose from. Tim Alderson from Scottsdale, Ariz., gets mentioned for the first time here, but it's a safer bet to pick a lefty since Los Angeles likes taking them early (Scott Elbert, Clayton Kershaw). That list includes Josh Smoker and Nathan Vineyard from Georgia, as well as Danny Duffy from California, but it may be topped by Bumgarner, who has shown a consistently impressive fastball all season. He doesn't have much in the way of secondary stuff right now, but lefties who can pump it up into the mid-to-upper 90s don't come around all that often, and the Dodgers don't shy away from arm strength guys who can be taught how to throw the offspeed and breaking stuff once they are in the fold.
    Last week's projection: Bumgarner

5. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

this thought is based upon interstedonlooker's post....

Not alot of people understand what the life of a recently signed high school pitcher is like. His first year will be spent in what is basically the toughest baseball situation you can imagine. many a young pitcher has questioned his love for the game at this point. Gulf coast league for the east coast teams is basically a whole days practice in the morning in florida heat with a box lunch followed by what is really a glorified intrasquad.

a first rounder will probably get pushed up to short season rookie ball or long season low a his first full season. think sally league or midwest league. At this point bumgardner will start throwing a more effective off speed pitch or will lose a little favor with the big wigs. He'll still put up great numbers because even at that level 95 beats wood bats. most people will be suprised at how low his win-loss record will be because he will be on a 75-80 pitch count. most of your wins are getting ate up by the bullpen.

In his second full season he will most likely start out at high A. If he has developed his off speed stuff he will have a good chance of being called up to AA sometime during that season. If he is still a 1 pitch pitcher the big wigs will start considering him for a closer and hope he can pick up a decent slider sometime in the future.

To stay a starter after this season he will either be left in the low minors to develop that off speed stuff or he will be on his way to being a three pitch pitcher. If the slider is there he could start that third season in big league spring training as a possible closer and probably pitch all year in AA. If the change and breaker are there he will be a top prospect starter.

Even if he has a injury free minor league career we still need to think end of 2010 to 2011 at the earliest. You also have to take into mind which team takes him. The braves and dodgers will be in absolutely no hurry to push him up until he is polished. someone like the mariners or pirated would push him a little quicker.

either way not bad to make it to the bigs at 21-23 years old.

6. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

olefty....Gulf Coast League is brutal. My son spent last summer there after signing last year as a pitcher out of HS. I went to watch a few of his starts and it was miserable in the heat....

Different world, especially for the pitchers, most clubs want to take the time developing their pitchers and don't rush anything....

7. interestedonlooker

interestedonlooker Full Access Member

Thanks Lefty and DBacks.

Being a native of Caldwell County all I would hear around here is that madision was top 5 going to the Braves and in the rotation behind Smoltz....I am not that familiar with MLB drafts as compared to NBA and NFL.....I wish the kid well, and think his dedication will take him far. It looks to me as if being a top prospect in the MLB isnt the same as that of a NFL or NBA top pick.

IO

8. Westsider

Westsider Member

I've already seen one wild rumor about Bumgarner on an Atlanta Braves message board that said his asking price would be three million dollars. Unless he goes real early in the draft, like the top five, that would seem a little high, but who knows? I've never heard whether Bumgarner has a favorite team he would most like to play for.

Also, on a unrelated matter, does anyone have any thoughts about Jimmy Messer's chances to make the Aflac All Star Game like Bumgarner did last year. I've read where Messer is projected to be a 4th to 6th round selection next year, so it seems like a possibility.

9. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

Nobody, you, me, Madison, Coach Parham or anyone else has a clue where he will go yet. I know his family would like the Braves because of the close proximity of their minor league teams. Plus if he makes it to the majors they are close to home also but as for him going there it will be a slim chance. I don't think he will be around long enough for the braves to get him. As for 3 mil. that is not an unrealistic figure for him as a signing bonus. Could be a little more. Lefties with his speed and size don't come around every year. Maddy is a great talent but don't look for him to go to the bigs no time soon. It don't work like that especially for pitchers

As for Messer if he improves as much this year as he did last year he will move up in the draft quite a bit

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'm sure he would want "slot" money no matter where he is chosen. I know for a fact that he is advised by excellent counsel; will receive great information....and for those of you who think you will be able to call him on draft day...forget it. They will only be speaking to their advisers and the clubs.

I do have one request from the Bumgarner family. If/when Maddy does sign, I hope they plan on having a "Draft Party for TBR'ers"...of course, with Maddy picking up the tab! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

and as far as Jimmy Messer, he is very, very good, one of my favorites and has benefited from the attention to Bumgarner, but let's not annoint him yet. What the colleges vs Pros look for are two different things