1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by stitches, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Micweiser

Micweiser Full Access Member

Bottom Line

...... the HS team that has the most TB girls on it are the better teams! What does that say? NUFF SAID !

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

interesting how this has run its course, and it has run its course. the debate between hs and tb will never be settled, and certainly not on this forum as we have hardliners from both sides. we must not drop to the level of insulting other members and try to respect our other members opinion, no matter how much we disagree. simply state your opinion without insulting anyone else.

5 pages of this is enough to voice your opinion, its getting pretty close to closing the thread, as everything has already been said more than once.

thanks for your inputs.

3. clevelandlefty

clevelandlefty Full Access Member

Question?

My DD decided to quit playing HS this year as a junior. I don't think I am one of those parents that thinks she is better than all the other players on the field but she as been pass over for other players that do not work in the off season. She plays with a very competive 18u travel team and is the starting first baseman. She has hit several HR's, 2 as a freshman. Cheese may remember one. She hit 2 HR last summer playing showcase . The HS coach WILL NOT play her. Why should she sit and cheer for the other players when she is clearly a better player. The parents of the other players are always asking us why is she not playing. So it is not just me. I hope this will not hurt her chances to play in college. So I believe there are good reasons for players not to play HS and play TB. It does not matter who you are on her TB team its how you play the game. I am sorry for the rane. It is not always one way or the other. Some player are left with only one choice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Wow, this has been a very interesting thread. Thank you to all that have participated in it. I wish we wouldn't dismiss other opinions that differ from yours by attacking them. But it remains an interesting thread.

What makes it so difficult to give a clear and concise answer is because it's understood that the overall coaching in HS is not very good---some are excellent, some are poor and many are just filling a position. Until that problem is resolved, there isn't any "stamp proof' answer to this.

Is HS softball needed to play at the next level---that's preposterous. The better question is is HS softball needed? I believe it is because it serves a different purpose than Travel Ball. Unfortunately, if you play HS softball there are members of the team that will be sitting---and not liking it. But, that goes on at every HS team in every sport in america. There are many do's and don't's when faced with this situation, but I'll not attempt to tackle it in this thread.

But softball does create a caveat because of the lack in quantity of good coaching. Because softball does allow travel ball in HS season--never understood this--as a coach, if i have a player riding the bench and I have told her what she needs to work on to get better. I would salute her initiative to work on her game during the weekend. Two good things come out of it:

- She gets an opportunity to get better which helps your team
    - She will have a positive experience that will carry over to her HS team--even if she continues to sit and watch.

I bet her attitude will change from silently hoping that somebody screws up to give her a chance, to being supportive and cheering on her teammates. To me it's a win/win. I can tell you in HS baseball the players do not have that opportunity. Travel Ball/Showcase and HS baseball do not compete against each other. When one season ends, the other begins. That's not the case in softball; so I would allow my players that are not getting much playing time an opportunity to get better---and I bet my relationship with those players will be better, too.

I'm sure others won't agree, but that's okay...I don't agree with you either, but I still like you and won't call you names.

Except for Guru...but I love him too

5. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Braves !!

You "R" the Man !!!! Hey it's about time for another TBR tent meeting !!!

Guru

6. Braves

I'm ready. Just tell me when and where...and I'm there!

It's always great to see my buddy :REDanceFdans002HL:

7. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Braves

Bring that fine young man with you !! How's Wingate doing in baseball ??

Guru

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i know your daughter, and not playing hs will not hurt her chances of getting into college, believe me. have you thought about moving into huss's district??? i needs a good first baseman next year, well actually, i need one this year??? dont worry about this, it will work out for her

cheeze

9. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....hey Cheez, you and the other mods know that this thread is one that should not be closed, just for the pure interest of the posters. Yes we, the TBR members, have to be accountable in what we post, if you spit out your opinion, and it leans toward the "slingin snot side", then "don't be hatin" when a reply is posted that doesnt go your way! BAM, its not personal folks...
    Hey heres an idea, maybe if all of the onesided hard heads in the TB/HS threads would listen to eachother, all of our kids would be better off.
    Dr. PhilFish

10. Braves

It's not closed....it was an informative one