1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What's the best advice in baseball you have received?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jester

jester Full Access Member

Having Coached at Oxford Orphanage for several years, remember the grass isn't always greener. No, I didn't have to deal with parents ( and I do understand the joke part of it) but how many want to coach 14, 15, 16 brothers or sisters, all the same age, who don't get the time away from each other to calm down when they're upset with each other. I was always proud of their us against the world when we were off campus, but I'm telling you, those kids fought with each other just like brothers and sisters! Truthfully some of the most rewarding coaching experiences of my career!

2. JM15

JM15 Moderator

easy.

"play every inning like it's your last."

i've seen way too many ballplayers careers get cut short because of various reasons. you never know when you fielded your last ground ball, ran out your last hit, threw your last pitch, etc... play every inning like it's your last.

3. the_insider

the_insider baseball doctor

Some of my faves

"Throw stiikes, Babe Ruth is Dead"- Stanford Cardinal Pitching Staff 1992

"If you look good, you feel good.... if you feel good, you play good... if you play good, they PAY good............ It all starts with the way you look" - Eric Ekdahl (2B Pepperdine, 1992)

MY ALL TIME FAVE
    "Give 'em HELL, son" - My DAD

4. Diamond Rat

Diamond Rat Full Access Member

I was on JV my Freshman year when Mooresville played at East Rowan in the State Playoffs. It was a hell'uva game with Mooresville and East Rowan going back and forth. It was late in the year, either sweet 16 or elite 8 I can't remember. Mooresville was up by 2 or 3 in the 7th. A walk, a few seeing eye singles and a scorcher to left field that went under the kid's glove and rolled all the way to fence gave East a walk-off hit win. After spending an hour on the field watching all your varsity heros cry on each others shoulder we head back to the bus. A few minutes later I heard the best advice I've ever heard regarding life and the game of baseball from Johnny Meadows: "God gives us stepping stones, guys, but sometimes we can't cross them without his help."

The other I heard last night after sending out a mass text asking what our quote for the yearbook page would be this year: "Play Hard. Pray Harder."

5. ALL9

ALL9 Member

Be patient but aggressive

6. canofcorn

canofcorn Member

Son, if you were racing a pregnant woman you would come in third.