1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who are the teams that should have a strong year this year?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by roc0720, Dec 22, 2004.

1. roc0720

roc0720 Full Access Member

I coach a high school showcase team and was just wonderin who were some good team to look at this spring. I know of the teams my kids play for but i want to hear you guys ideas.

2. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

IF...

South Meck can t win it ALL I 'd be awful surprised... Yet their is a lot to chemistry and luck as well as good coaching in which must blend together some say. IMHO

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

What are the school's your players play for?

4. Braves

This should be your signature "O"...no truer words spoken.

5. niner_dad

niner_dad Full Access Member

New Bern has a good chance to go deep into the playoffs, maybe all the way. Most of the team returns, and the few vacant positions created by graduation have been well filled. Smitty's team should be exciting to watch this year.

6. Braves

Hiya Niner ..:xyzwave:...and as always, you are right about NB

7. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Independence Have an outstanding hitting squad returning that plays excellent defense. Robby Bray was dynamite on the mound last year as a sophomore. If one more arm develops, they will be very difficult to handle this season.

DH Conley: Returning some key players in Aubrey Edens and Jason Cargile. They gave other teams trouble last year.

Fuquay-Varina: Frankie Lewis (SS) and Grayson Evans (OF) will have to shore up the defense and provide some offensive punch. FV always has pitchers in the wings, so they could be pretty solid.

Hickory: With Wil Boyd and Isaac Harrow returning, Hickory will be solid.

Hoggard: Is absolutely loaded this year. Everyone is keeping their eye on New Bern in the east, but I'm following Hoggard. With the power returning and the stacked line-up they have, they could 10-run every team they face until late in states. Returning key players: Kyle Musselman (RHP), Matt Rizzuto (IF), Shane Thompson, (IF), Garrett Gore (IF), Robert Branch (OF). The only key loss from last year's squad was Adam DeLeo (C) so they have to be the pre-season favorite. Garrett Gore may have the best swing in the state.

New Bern: Everyone's been talking about New Bern and how good they are going to be. They are going to be fine, but they need to support that pitching staff they've got with some run support. It remains to be seen if they have to shut everyone down to be successful. Adam Warren will carry that team to states alone. We'll see how far they go. Its going to be interesting to see how Twardnicky (spelling, I know) develops this year and I also want to find out how Patrick Ball does if he goes to the mound. We're really going to find out how deep this team is early on.

New Hanover: When your #1 guy on the mound is a big lefty, a coach always feels confident, especially if he has a top-notch catcher to go with him. New Hanover is in good shape to upset some people. Watch Jason Windham and Eric Bron!!! They did loose Chandler Chambers (LHP) to graduation.

Ragsdale: Jake Kensmoe (LHP) and John Polchinski (MIF) should keep them competitive but they are sure going to miss one of my favorites, Alex Sink.

RJ Reynolds: Hampton Foushee and Nick DeRose are great fun to watch. They play the game right, making RJR one of the favorites to challenge for the top spot coming out of the west this year.

Wakefield: Is absolutely loaded. They are up there with Hoggard and are probably the best team in the Raleigh area. Zack Quate, Josh Dowdy and Steve Halford will carry that team to a showdown for the East representative in the state championships.

JH Rose: We always say that they just reload BUT .... look at what they lost this past year: Alex White, Kevin Hodges, Marc Letchworth. Garrett Bullock can't do it alone and he'll need more help that what we know about right now. The state championship out of the east ISN'T going through JH Rose this season. It's going through Wakefield, Hoggard and New Bern.

Scotland County: Edged out Richmond County last year. They lost Tio McLean, but return promising young player Parker Bangs (great name). Look for Scotland to repeat in the Mid-Southeastern Conference, but the East is just too deep for them to make a run. They got tossed last year by New Bern. It will probably happen again.

Wake Forest-Rolesville: Drew Taylor is a show just by himself. They have a good nucleus returning so the team should be fine.

South Stokes They've won the 1A crown 3 times in a row and will be going for #4 behind the arm of Nic Conaway.

East Rutherford: I don't think 4-peat is a word, but ER has won at least 20 games/season for 10-12 years now and they are going for their 4th consecutive state championship in 2A.

TC Roberson: Cameron Maybin, Josh Thrailkill, Justin Jackson, Wes Williams, Travis Murray. Can you say "Top-25 Nationally"?????? Can you say, "I'm glad they are 3A" (or did you say "ooooo, they are 3A, oooo"). Unless something breaks it's, pre-season, the #1 team in the state.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  8. Braves

Pops...one of the reasons that Rose is so good year in and year out is that they have players that always have played in the BIG game..and are always successful. They breed confidence. As Ric Flair says ( to be the man, you must beat the man) ...and until somebody does, Rose is the MAN!!!

Great synopsis on each team. Although I don't agree with Roberson being ranked #1 in the state, they are certainly a tremendous team. I think you are right on target about Hoggard....but you never know. Playoffs with one game and you could be done can make any great team a bridesmaid.

Seriously, I think you must put North Meck in the spotlight. Nobody can compare to their pitching rotation. Zach Rosenbaum (UNCC), Tom Porter (Elon) and Pierce (UNCC) can all bring it into the 90's and throw in Damien Manzetti who is probably the hardest thrower of them all and...wow! Not many hits given out in their games.

9. Hapi2BMe

Hapi2BMe Full Access Member

Great discussion. Just remember the "weakness" here in the system - the best team may never make it. 1 bad pitch, 1 boot, 1 ball lost in the lights, 1 ump with his head up... (you know what I mean) can end a season, at least until you get to regionals or best of 3. A lot like life. The sun rises on the just and the unjust.
    From the West of the state it should be a 4 way mix of N MEck, Indy, S Caldwell and S Meck. All will, or should be there. Who will advance? Who will combine talent, with opportunity, with chemistry, with a little "luck?"
    This is certainly going to be fun.

10. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

You're missing a few teams that will have a lot to say about the West.

North Forsyth and RJ Reynolds are probably the cream of the crop out of the Metro 6 and the CPC (though a few other programs may desire to argue the point).

I figure NW Guilford to be pushing NF and for West Forsyth to push RJR in the CPC this season.