1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who are the the Favorites to win the state title

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by theprodigy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. theprodigy

theprodigy Junior Member

I just wanted to know who you think is going to win the state title

2. RaleighDevil

RaleighDevil Banned From TBR

It won't be anyone from Area I. Wayne lost almost all its pitching, and I don't think this year's Pitt 39 team is as good as the ones earlier in the decade.

The Raleigh area HS coaches have ruined Legion baseball, so don't look in that direction either.

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

RaleighDevil makes it sound like a good year to be a western team, that is if he's not sandbagging just a tad... :smoke:

theprodigy, I'm sure you will see many "opinions" on this matter as the playoffs approach,,, who are your top picks and why ?

4. theprodigy

theprodigy Junior Member

I saw Randolph county play and i think they have a very good chance of winning. And for teams around the Raleigh area i think that clayton has the best chance

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Since you ask about "state title", I'll give you Randolph from Area 3 North. In Area 3 South you have to consider Mooresville who is undefeated in league play having beaten Rowan County twice, along with Lexington and you'd be crazy to leave out Rowan County come playoff time.

In Area 4, everytime I see a score Pineville is dogging somebody, gotta consider both Shelby and Cherryville, and of course Caldwell County just mercy-ruled Shelby so they may be the cream of the crop. I'm sure there's others, as I admit I don't know much about Area 4.

As far as good baseball, you usually see a lot of great baseball, great crowds and great atmospheres in both western areas night in and night out,,,, but as far as state title contenders it usually comes down to the usual suspects each year with a few occasional surprises (this year Mooresville has got to be considered among the state's elite).

6. RaleighDevil

RaleighDevil Banned From TBR

I recently completed a project in which I put online the scores and stats from all Wayne County teams. What struck me, and maybe it shouldn't have, is how often teams would go into the postseason playing well and fall out before reaching the league final. In a few other cases, teams caught fire and won more than they should have.

We all have to remember that a Legion "season" is far shorter than a professional one. At that level, everyone plays well and poorly. It's a matter of how much of each.

Last year, New Bern won our half of Area I East by two games. We swept them in the playoffs for the title. Some were shocked by this but again the division played only eight games. Not a large sample.

I'm like Coach K. I'll tell you when we're good. We lost Garrett Davis (UNC), Grant Sasser (NC State), TJ Hinson (Lenoir CC, the Division II Junior College runner up) and Brandon Price (ditto). We're estatic to be 7-3.

We could get to Gastonia, but we might lose in the first round in two weeks or so. The only thing that might save us is the hitting, as we have a lot of bats returning.

We're online at post11baseball.blogspot.com.

7. travisunc

travisunc Full Access Member

I like Mooresville, South Rowan and Lexington over Rowan this year in Area III South. South Rowan is going to sneak up on some people. They have a really good team and probably the best pitching staff in Area III South.....(Mooresville is very good as well). Rowan can hit and field, but they don't have an overpowering starter.

8. Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313 Full Access Member

I think we will really find out about Area III North come Friday as long as Kernersville and Asheboro keep winning. I believe Ryan Dull is slated to be the starter for Kernersville and he has been very good all year long so, we will definately see one heck of a ball game in Kernersville Friday night and I'm sure it will shape out the Area III North and state title contenders.

9. tj21

tj21 Moderator

travis, :N1Lol16: it won't work, no sandbaggin please, you know that South Rowan has lost their last 2-3, while Rowan is beating people, believe you beat Lexyton handily other day giving them their only 2nd loss of season.

Mooresville, Rowan, and Lexy have proven they are cream of crop in Southern Division. Any team who writes off Rowan because of your early losses when you didnt have all your players is just dum.

Nice try tho, you would make good politician. :rockon:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  10. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

:astrosmiley2: very funny