1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who has the nicest facility in NC?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 1Cannon0, Jan 8, 2005.

1. 1Cannon0

1Cannon0 Headhunter

I just want some imput on who's fields are the nicest and who gets a bit of the upper hand by indoor facilities during rain or cold weather.

2. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Those........

in whcih the AD's and Principies support financially the program! Unlike many many places I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Baseball gets the last in many many instances! :(

3. playme

playme Full Access Member

of the places i've been...Watauga and AC Reynolds in the NW4A...Chapel Hill hs has a nice field...S. Mech(is that where Bard played legion ball?) is a good place to watch and play a game...Cherryville has a good facility..the field Caldwell Legion(in Granite falls) is a good facility. Shelby has a good place....South Point is not bad either...

4. 007

007 Full Access Member

Top 25 fields in NC

Impact puts an annual list out on their site www.impactbaseball.com
    You will have to scroll down quite a ways on the front page to find it.
    The top 5 according to Mr. Partin are:
    Manteo
    S. Meck
    Hills. Orange
    Ashbrook
    Richmond Co.

Believe it or not,Watauga didn't crack Partin's top 25. Go figure that one out and get back to me.
    As far as an upper hand, indoor facilities are great, but nothing beats outdoor practice. The teams who get the least cold and rain (or can tolerate practicing in it) are at an advantage. Having a field that drains well is often overlooked, but is a key element of a top-notch field. Visitors are often amazed when Watauga's games are played after a deluge.

Everyone knows that Coach Hardee is a great baseball coach, but what they may not know is the amount of work that he puts in on his field.
    He treats that thing like Augusta National a week before the Masters year-round and is always looking for ways to make it better. It's the kind of place that is a privelege just to step foot on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. TheBull

TheBull Member

The best field in NC belongs to Victory Christian High School. The team has a long way to go, but the playing surface is as good as any professional field in NC.

6. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

been there , seen it ... your exactly correct... :applause:

7. bubba

bubba Full Access Member

4-way tie?

I have seen S. Meck, Richmond County, Guy Smith (Rose's field) and Victory Christian and I don't know how you could choose between those four. Growing up I played some games at Ernie Shore Stadium in Winston-Salem (home of the Warthogs), and the playing surface is better at any of those four prep fields. I've also been on the Crawdads and Myrtle Beach Pelicans fields and any of those prep schools can compete with those inside the lines. I would give Guy Smith the nod if I had to vote because of its quirky, old-school city block dimensions in the outfield. That facility may also have better bullpens and cage facilities than the others.

But you have to also give the nod for Watauga's total facility. Three large outdoor cages and an impressive indoor facility with two real mounds and cage space to hit four hitters at once.

8. 12to6

12to6 Full Access Member

christian also has one of the nicest playing surfaces around, once they get the renovations finished it will be quite a place, not to mention when the sun goes down, they have to best lit field in the state

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  9. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

As indoor facilities go, I cannot see how anyone can come close to Watauga. I know that being the only school in the county means you get more money to play with, but Watauga has spent it all in the right places.

As far as just overall beauty, I really like Keeter stadium in Shelby. The Southeastern playoffs were there a few years back as well as the State tournament last year.

10. bubba

bubba Full Access Member

Donated

Watauga's indoor facility was donated and put up by Hardee and a group of volunteers -- very little public funding, if any.