1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who has the nicest facility in NC?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 1Cannon0, Jan 8, 2005.

1. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

Hopewell's facilities were ranked 9th, and this fall they put in a sodded practice field right beside the primary field to take wear and tear off the main field and give space for additional infield practice. The sod and labor were donated. There are a couple of other improvements in the works, such as a new backstop and wall that may or may not be in for the season.

2. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Coach Pat Smith keeps Gryphon Stadium in Rocky Mount in very good shape. It's the only field I've seen that has as pronounced a drop to the outfield as it does, but it allows for very good drainage. It also has a unusual fence line. Center is not the deepest point. I was not aware until recently that Rocky Mount's stadium was once similar to Fleming Stadium in Wilson. I heard that the school superintendent made the decision to tear down the seating in 1989. It was going to cost about $350,000.00 to repair. Still it's a very nice facility. Also, Guy Smith Stadium in Greenville is getting a new fence(not sure if they're altering the fence line), and new Musco Lighting.

3. recon0321

recon0321 Junior Member

If you all have ever been west of Hickory go take a look at West Henderson's facilities. The playing field is second to none in the West( including all of the colleges). They also have just finished construction on LIGHTED batting cages, giving them 5 cages, 4 lite, one outside. They also have an indoor complex off-campus, that they use in the winter for hitting, pitching and weight-lifting. Go give it a look...

4. word

word Junior Member

West Henderson.

5. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

Garinger?

Unless Garinger has renovated their field in the last two years, I'd have to question that nomination. Thirty years ago it probably was a good field by the standards back in those days. Two years ago, I saw ground balls get lost in the infield grass.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I haven't seen this field in a couple of years, but a very underrated field is West Charlotte. They are rarely mentioned but it is a very good looking field

7. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Oops ... go look again.

:rofl: :rofl: The visitors bullpen is up under the trees with no lights. Once it gets dark, the visiting teams pitchers have to straddle a creek that runs next to the fence in order to warm up else they can't see the ball. Talk about a home field advantage!!!!

They haven't seeded in a few years and it's looking a bit patchy too. Harding and West Meck look decent, but West Charlotte has fallen on hard times.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

like I was saying...a couple of years ago WC had a good looking field :D

9. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Tow of the nicer fields we play on in this part of the state are Jordan High School in Durham, Orange, Chapel Hill and Wakefield. Southern Durham also has had avery nice facility in the past. Wakefield is a huge park (like they need a pitchers park anyway with Dowdy) :huh:

10. PMTBBall

PMTBBall Junior Member

Wasn't this thread about NC baseball facilities? I gets annoying to check on updates when they have nothing to do with the topic... Start a new thread!:huh: