1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whos Gonna Take It

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Dawgfan, May 30, 2006.

1. eyesup

eyesup Full Access Member

I know what it is like to be injured, play through it, sit through it. I have watched my players go through the same and coaches must make decisions for the good of the team. I am sure ND will play Butler tough whether they win or lose. ND is better than most of our HS teams out there. Seems like the switches have worked for them. Not counting anyone out, I never make that mistake, only stating my observations which are based on seeing them both play. It appears 1-9 in the batting order, looking at team speed, infield/outfield position for position and the depth of the pitching staff that Butler appears better on paper. Of course that does not mean anything when the game is played between the lines. All of the girls still have to field the ball, throw the ball...see the ball, hit the ball...All of these teams obviously have the heart and desire to be there. They must play as a team to succeed, think it is safe to say that at this point in the playoff's. I do believe that the team with the more mentally prepared players and mentally tough players will be standing there when the dust settles when it comes to these two teams and their talent. To answer the next poster's question about having two great pitchers, of course it matters! The deeper you are, the better you are in all facets of the game. Having two great pitchers in high school is not the norm, but Butler has made it part of their routine. The coach over there has alternated them both every other game and I really don't know if he would change something that has worked for them thus far. They are the only ones left undefeated. Since Jeffery threw last game, which should have been a perfect game, I am assuming based on history that Ward will throw the ND game and Jeffery will throw the next one; so on and so forth. If one of them got in trouble (which has not happened yet) I am sure he would bring in the other to help out. It also helps when you are playing more than one game a day. Yes a great pitcher can throw 14 innings in a day, but pitch count does start to matter when the other team is being patient, fouling pitches off, etc. In my experience pitchers get a little physically tired around anywhere from 200 - 240ish pitches thrown depending on the player, not to mention the mental aspect. When a player starts to get physically tired, then their mind starts to go, hence the mental toughness starts to be lost, focus lost. Just think if any of those state games goes more than 7 innings??? Then your one good pitcher, win or lose, is throwing 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 or more innings. Tell me now having more than one great pitcher is not that important.
    That is part of the reason I believe Butler has an edge. Their staff is always fresh which is an advantage.

2. FAB5ER

FAB5ER Junior Member

I will not say who is going to win, because "on any given day.......", however, I am hoping it will be: Butler, KM, whoever, and Swain. Good luck Emily!!! We, in Forest City and Columbia, are pulling for you and Butler.

3. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

I have no dog in this fight but claims comparing pitchers this way are totally invalid. Afterall the King's Mountain pitcher threw against a 4A team and Ashton Ward pitched against a 3A team. All these girls are good but don't make claims of superiority based on these sort of comparisons.

4. Dukedog4

I agree

I too think it should matter but the history of state champions in NC is that the coach hands the ball to one girl and that's it. Look at Gina and Mendy in last years 4A title game! Of the 4A teams at Walnut Creek last season only WFR used more than one pitcher. They lost both games.

5. jvcoach

jvcoach Full Access Member

good luck to all the west teams! achs played 3 of the teams down there this yr. east surry (1a) looks good, kings mt.. enough said... butler ummmm another enough said. all 3 imo will win!!!!!!!!!

6. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

3A & 4A from east

I am familiar with Wake Forest-Rolesville from 4A & Harnett Central from 3A. Don't count them out.
    WF-R was at the Creek last year losing 2 straight so they should be very hungry to change that. They are a very solid veteran team with the best catcher I saw this year (Nikki Prier). Pitching is very good; I think they have 2 hurlers ; they beat a Fuquay-Varina team in playoffs that most people felt was the best team from the greater Triangle area. Aggressive hitting.

3A Harnett Central, another veteran team that has been to the Creek in recent years, but lost. This is a outstanding hitting team. Very good catcher. Outstanding pitcher in Lauren Taylor, a tall lefty with several pitches.

Should be interesting.

7. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Pitchers

These two teams rode those pitchers all year so stands to reason they would pitch at states! Most HS teams end of with one top notch pitchers but Butler has two quality pitchers, one going to Tennesse an SEC power headed to the world series and one to USC-Upstate a D-II power headed to D-1 probably in the 2007-2008 year. Emily has not given up an earned run all year including the playoffs and Ashton has an ERA of I believe .22 or so. Either could pitch every game of the States and do well but why change what has worked for U all year. I think the North Davidson/Butler game could be outstanding as both teams know how to win and play with a great deal of passion. Both coaches will be challenged to create a run and I think both are up to the task. Best of luck to both teams and to all the state finalists.:twocents:

8. Dukedog4

Ashton Ward??

Rodney:

Does Ashton play SS for Butler when not pitching? Was she recruited by UT as a P or a utility player?

9. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Yes Ashton plays SS when she does not pitch. Tenn has told her she will be allowed to play both positions for them. Coach Weekly is sold on her skills. No doubt she has the potential to be a great college player.

10. EnkaMom12

EnkaMom12 Full Access Member