1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Why do parents....?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

I agree. We have all spent more money that we care to recognize, but the experiences are priceless.
    On the low side= $3000-$4000 /yr
    For the players traveling to the major showcase events, tournaments, camps, etc. $5000-$7000 (SWAG)

Another parent and I were talking about this same subject a few weeks ago. Jokingly, we estimated that we each would spend approximately
    $12000-$15000 over the four years prior to our kids going to college, just that we have the slim chance of receiving an athletic scholarship worth $2500/yr (1/4 scholly est) or $10,000 for their college career. (Non- Pitchers) At times it was difficult to finance all these trips, showcases, camps. Baseball and hockey have caught up to golf as the "rich mans" sport.

But we all know it is not about the money. These are times that my son, and my family will cherish forever. The memories of Jupiter, Atlanta, Charleston, and the many towns & colleges with names I cannot even pronounce will stay with me always. Some people say that we are living through our kids. In some ways that is true. I can only hope that my son enjoys the experiences ahead as much as I did in my playing days. In a way it is sad that this journey is almost over as the recruiting process comes to a close. Good luck to all those fortunate enough to go on to the next level.

To sum it up: To see your child achieve his goal= PRICELESS!

2. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Good topic, Braves.

It brings to mind a chance encounter I once had. At the time, my son was a rising senior in high school, and his travel team was playing in a tournament at East Cobb. After breakfast one morning, I was killing time in the hotel's lobby and struck up a conversation with a stranger. He asked me what brought me to Marietta; and, after I told him, he told me that he'd raised three sons: two of whom played in the NHL and one who was playing minor league baseball. He knew all too well the cost that parents bear to support their children's pursuits.

His summary comment to me about the costs: "Don't ever add it up. It's irrelevant because what you're doing is supporting your child's passion. Even if mine hadn't lived their ultimate dream by playing professionally, it still would have been worth it."

I think I fall into his camp.

3. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

[​IMG]

1st Base - $58.00
    2nd Base - $630 peso
    3rd Base - $300,000 yen

Sitting with Braves and friends getting to watch your son's play at a showcase tournament - PRICELESS!!!;)

4. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

I agree with the poster that said not to add it up because who can put a value on supporting your child's passion and having a family activity that forces the parents and kids to be so closely connected. If there were NO scholarships available, I would not have spent $1 less on his baseball. Recently, my wife, my son and I were traveling and noticed that about every HS or little league field we passed we said, "Remember when we played there?" The memories are worth whatever we have spent.

5. moesyslak

moesyslak Banned From TBR

do coaches not scout hs games anymore or legion ? many guys playing in college walk on and make the team. every school has tryouts and as a former player and coach i know there is talent on every campus. if you have to do all the showcase and other stuff why bother with hs at all? if you won't get seen. there was a time when the thought was always if you do what's best for your team you will get yours. i still believe that. what about all the guys who play football and cannot play all the stuff you guys mentioned yet many of them go on and play baseball in college?

6. ncsu82

ncsu82 Full Access Member

Stealth BCN4 Composite CNT - $400.00
    2 nights Holiday Inn - $187.23 (includes breakfast)
    2 tanks of gas (x 2.59/gal.) - $155.40

Sunshine, summertime and HOT baseball moms......PRICELESS!

7. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Many?

Many? Nope, not many!

8. moesyslak

moesyslak Banned From TBR

sure there are lots of walkons playing college baseball. not in the acc or sec but there are hundreds of colleges playing baseball and many of them have i would guess 20% of their roster as walkons. every player at d3 schools are walkons. they may be invited but there is no athletic scholarship money. so many of these programs only fund 3-5 scholarships or less they have to have walkons. i saw many college coaches at games this spring. and i'm certain they scout high school and legion as well. the coaches i iknow personally all say they do especially in their own area.
    btw how many schools play d1 baseball in nc now? and total number of schools which play baseball?

as for the hot moms... well i am married but i'm not a fanatic about it

9. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Why Do "You" Do It?

I can not speak for others. But for me my son started playing AAU and traveling for the competition. The local rec league was not competitive. They rarely practiced and the coaches were not baseball guys they just had a son that was on a team so they coached. You get better by playing with and against better players. You get better by facing better competition. Once he started playing AAU there was no reason to go back to rec level ball. He plays showcase baseball for the same reasons. During the course of a HS season say 24 games you are challenged maybe half of the games. The level of the pitching faced is not nearly as competitive as the level of the pitching faced by going against quality showcase teams. The players that you play with are outstanding. In my sons case this summer and fall on his roster all but 2 of the 07's have already committed to D-1 programs most of which are ACC. That means everytime he catches he is catching a stud. He is facing very good pitching and getting pitched tough. He rarely gets a fb and it is rarely over the plate. He is learning to hit quality pitching everyday out and not just once a week or every other week like in the HS season. The bottom line is he does not play it to be seen. He plays it to get better and to measure himself against the very best he can face. When he was 15 he played in the WWBA 18 nationals. Now he is an 08 playing with some of the best 07 and 08 players in the nation and against them as well. It makes you better. It challenges you. It exposes your weakness and gives you immediate feedback on what you need to work on to be the best you can be. If he is good enough he will have opportunities past HS. If he is not then he wont. What better way to prepare yourself for baseball past HS than to face kids with the same goal as you? The same work ethic. The same desire. To me its about getting better and getting the experience. As one coach this summer said "I will put your son out there to be seen you can bet on that. Its up to him to do what it takes on the field to make them want to see him again". I like that quite frankly. Its easy to get seen. Its a another story to be what they are looking for once they see you. Hitting .400 against HS competition is one thing. Maybe you hit over .600 against the weak pitching and .200 against the quality pitching. What have you proven to yourself? Catching guys throwing mid 80's and below is one thing. Catching a staff that throws upper 80-'s low 90's is another. To me its just about getting better and getting challenged and playing with like minded players. Everything else is just gravy to me. As far as the money issue let me just say this. Some kids ride motorcycles or skate boards or go to the beach etc. Mine chooses to play baseball. Yes he does some other things once in awhile but his passion is baseball. If I wasn't spending my money on baseball I would be spending it on something else. What better way is it to spend money than to see your kid do what he loves? You ain't takin it with you folks.

10. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

softball parents = baseball parents

dont see any difference in the attitude of softball parents and baseball parents on this subject. we all seem to do it for the same reasons. but, softball parents seem to fall into one of three catagories:

1. pushing their daughter to accomplish something they couldnt.

2. keeping their daughter healthy, athletic and involved to stay in shape, out of trouble and have quality time. (most of us)

3. Pushing their daughter to attain "THE FULL RIDE". ( 1 kid in 30).

my question is, is baseball any different? ( i only have daughters)

My wife and I have spent over $30,000 in the last 8 years, but this is sponsoring teams, shoes, gloves and bats for kids, etc, etc. I have a 19yr old daughter, pitcher, all state, all conference, who decided not to play in college, despite the offers. It hurts, but doesnt matter, wouldnt trade a minute of these 8 years for anything. would you??