1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Why I wouldn't be an umpire..#1

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SoutherNo1, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BigDipofCope

BigDipofCope Full Access Member

If the runner from 3rd crosses the plate before the appeal is made at 2nd the run counts.

2. BigDipofCope

Actually in this example, there would be no getting together, it would simply be a homerun because all runners including the batter runner advanced at least one base. The interference would be ignored. Now you might have to meet with the defensive coach who heard you originally call the interference and now wants it to be catchers interference instead of a homerun, but there's no reason to conference with the offensive coach.

3. u-r-out

u-r-out Full Access Member

To part one yes you can verbally appeal, or a fielder can go over and tag the base or runner. The only time you have to do all of the toe the rubber stuff is if the ball is dead, then put back into play.
    For part two. We would not call a runner out for seeing it without proper apeal, unless it would be in Little League for leaving the base too early. The (propper) appeal has to be made.

4. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Unless the rule has changed in the last 15 years, the plate umpire should not make an audible call on the interference. He's supposed to wait until the play is dead.

And yes, I agree he would not have a conference with the first coach. I was just making the point that the offense gets to choose after the play is dead.

Ain't baseball fun?

5. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

BigDipo, I'm pretty certain this is true at all levels of baseball. But here's the rule from the NCAA Rules--Rule 8 Section 6):

"The base runner does not retouch the base after a fair or foul fly ball is touched in making a legal catch...

...If there are two outs before the appeal on the runner, the appeal becoming the third out, no runners following the appealed out shall score, and if the appeal is a force out, no runners preceding or following the appealed out shall score."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  6. SuperJon

SuperJon Full Access Member

Here's what happened in our game tonight:

Bottom of the fifth inning. Catcher calls a curveball and moves into position for a curveball. The pitcher throws a fastball though and the catcher was crossed up. He couldn't move in time to catch the ball and it his the plate umpire in the mask.

After the pitch, the catcher asked for time to which the umpire replied, "You better take time!" loud enough for the dugouts to hear. He was then heard by both players in the field and the dugout to tell the batter, "Don't swing."

The batter got three strikes on him and the pitcher's next pitch was right down the middle of the plate. The umpire let out a very loud and stern, "Ball Four!" Our head coach said, "Just because he missed a ball doesn't mean you have to squeeze it like that." The umpire replied with "If he can't catch it then I can't call it."

Between innings the umpire told the head coach that there's no way that a catcher can get crossed up when the pitcher isn't even throwing 80 (the pitcher was low 80's, 82-83ish). He then said that if a ball hits him without the catcher even touching it, then the batter is going to walk, no matter what, no matter the situation.

It was the weirdest situation I've ever been a part of.

7. BigDipofCope

This rule has not changed in at least the past 10 years and I would venture to say has not changed in the last 100 years. Is it your opinion that a runner returning to a base when he did not tag up is a force play? It is not - I don't have any of my rulebooks in front of me to quote any sections of the book, but a force play is defined as a situation where a runner is forced from one base to the next, not back to his base to tag. If you'll agree that not tagging up is an appeal play, the quote from the NCAA book gives you the answer. No runners following the appealed out shall score - following the out means after the out. If the runner from 3rd scores before the out, the run scores.

An example of an appeal being a force out would be if the bases were loaded and R1 missed 2nd base. That appeal would be a force out because R1 is forced to 2nd. On any force play resulting in a 3rd out no runners preceding or following can score.

I had this exact play last year - Watauga at McDowell. Coach Hardee argued that it was a force play and that the run shouldn't count no matter when R3 crossed the plate. I explained to him it was an appeal play, just like if a runner that was tagging left early and therefore was a timing play. He protested, then an inning later withdrew his protest because he looked it up in the book.

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

Tag play appeal

Your correct. NFHS Case book 8.2.2. Situation C...Runner leaving early is out on appeal but runner properly tagging from 3rd base is allowed to score and the run counts.

9. BigDipofCope

I was trained (2004 Evans Academy) to make the audible call as soon as it happens "that's interference" and point at the catcher's mitt. If the ball is hit and all runners including the batter runner do not advance at least one base, then you enforce the interference. At that point, if the offensive coach wants to accept the result of the play instead of having interference enforced, he may opt to do so.

I'm sure this is the pro mechanic and the high school book may say not to make it audible, I don't know, but I think making it audible is a better way to handle that situation anyway because it lets everyone know right away that I have catchers interference instead of playing I have a secret and waiting until everything is over. I think that would look like I'm pulling something out of my hat... just my opinion. Same with obstruction and interference on the basepaths, I want to make that call audible right away whether it ends up being a penalty after the play is over or not.

I love talking mechanics and rules....

10. BigDipofCope

As a general rule, umpires don't like to be hit with baseballs. We get hit enough with foul balls and wild pitches. So when a catcher gets crossed up and can't manage to get a glove on a fastball, its not the highlight of our day. I was struck with a 90ish fastball square in the mast in a legion game a few years ago.. the catcher got crossed up, the pitcher threw high heat - not a fun time.

Having said that, there is no excuse for calling a pitch that is a strike anything but a strike because a kid made a mistake. Especially in high school... I would defenetly say something to the catcher to make sure he knew I wasn't happy, but I'm not going to screw the kid out of a strike.

Now if we're talking about a pitcher showing up an umpire on the mound by throwing his hands up and asking why a pitch wasen't a strike or a constant chirping about my strikezone, maybe now that pitch on the corner is a ball....