1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Will Dicus...Bigger than baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by observer, Jul 29, 2005.

1. observer

observer Full Access Member

He's doing very well. Thanks for asking!

2. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Bigger than Baseball

You bet no question and to just think how he and many others before present and probably in the future will continue to do the same to "teach" and serve as "role models" so dearly needed by alllll young people today and even a few grown ups. Keep the faith! Coach H:agreed:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I had a chance to meet this wonderful young man last year. What a thrill..okay...that's his new nickname "Will the Thrill".

To think about the strength and courage that young Will has, he may be the strongest person I have ever met. When people are complaining about how cold it is to play baseball, think about this. After receiving energy draining chemotherapy, Will would still return to practice to throw bullpens. He doesn't care how tired he is or how cold it may be, he just wants to be out on the field playing baseball with his buddies.

Well, I understand that Will is facing another huge challenge. His cancer has come back...and more aggressive (I hope The Observer can give more details). I hope when everybody is attending a game in the near future, you will take a moment to think about this courageous young man. A kid that lights up a room with a smile on his face. A kid that is always cheering for his teammates and picking up the spirits of a player that is down. A kid that hopes and prays that one day he will have an opportunity to stand on the mound again and "bring it".

Will Dicus is facing an enormous battle, but if there is anyone that can win this battle, it's Will. My heart and prayers go out to this young man and his family. I want them to know that we are here for support and are sending our positive spirit his way

God Bless

4. mincmi

mincmi Moderator

Talked to Coach Hardee at the scrimmage Saturday.

He indicated that Will was not at the scrimmage, but is taking this challenge head on.

If I understood coach correctly, Will is going to W/S on a nearly daily basis for radiation treatment to reduce the growth, and once that has happened, they are going to be doing a new treatment.

Will then returns to school and practice. Coach said that he is throwing the ball very well. They are looking forward to seeing him on the mound but he can not run yet.

I let coach know that the TBR family is keeping a good thought for Will.

5. Braves

Thanks mincmi...that was nice of you to follow up. Thanks for the update.

6. observer

observer Full Access Member

Will is amazing! He's battled not only the cancer, but the flu and sinus infections and all the other junk that goes around all winter. He scheduled his last two weeks of daily radiation treatments (had to drive to Winston at 6am to receive them) so he could return to school and make baseball practice. And it's been really cold and windy here, too! The baseball team cleans up after every home basketball game, and Will was there everytime - even after driving 7 hours from Bethesda where he's receiving other treatments. His mom and dad are equally amazing. I know he would appreciate any words of encouragement and you can follow his progress and read a lot of his story at the following website:

http://www.caringbridge.org/nc/willdicus

And when the stress of the season begins to get to all of us - parents, coaches, and players, visit Will. He will truly inspire you.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  7. 007

007 Full Access Member

The first baseball game I remember watching was a NY Yankees game on a black and white TV in the early 60's with my grandfather. The images of Mantle and Maris were nothing short of magical. Since that time, I've watched thousands of games at all levels but nothing can touch what I saw last night.
    Mt. Tabor's JV team jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning which prompted some early activity in the Watauga bullpen. After tying the game up, Coach Fox made a pitching change for Watauga. Now the last thing you would expect a coach to do with an extremely talented team (that just might go undefeated this year), is put a guy in who has pitched only one inning over the past two years, with the game on the line against a tough opponent, but he did.
    The Mount Tabor fans probably didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when the new Watauga pitcher sauntered out to the mound. Just another rail-thin Watauga pitcher, who would make a post-Nutrasystem Dan Marino look like a tub of lard. But as the kid took his warm-ups, some may have noticed the shaved head and that goofy over-sized cap. Kids these days, everybody's got to be different.
    As the new pitcher worked against the first batter, he was missing high with a
    lively fastball but it didn't seem to bother him one bit. In fact the kid seemed to be having a little much too fun on the mound in such a tight game. As the inning progressed, Watauga's pitcher dialed in his fastball and started mixing in quality breaking pitches to hold the Mt. Tabor bats in check.
    In one inning of work;
    0 hits
    1 walk
    1 strike out
    Thank you, Will Dicus for inspiring all of us !
    Mantle and Maris have nothing on you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

Hats off to

the Watauga Coach. He has my utmost respect for giving this young man the opportunity. A young man, it appears by everyone's accounts, is MORE than deserving....

...but for the grace of God go I....

9. Braves

Wow...what a beautiful story. "Will the Thrill" does it again. He is an amazing young man, but I don't put anything past him. He can do anything:king:

10. matrix123

matrix123 Full Access Member