1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Winter workouts: Long toss vs and/or weighted balls

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GloveSide, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Coach- Let's start a new thread with your advice. I bet most people would find it very informative.

2. Braves

Welcome back Metro--long time no hear. Folks, Metro tells it like he see's it. It might not be what you want to hear, at times, but he bases his opinion on a very successful career.

Between Metro and Fear the Turtle, we would be even more informative than we already are. (now if I could only get them to post their opinion more often we would have some lively debates.)

3. andro

andro Full Access Member

Guidelines

Braves, do you want to define a more specific topic on what I should speak about? Or should I take the weighted ball and long toss to a deeper level? If you give me some parameters on what you want me to speak about... I would love to take the time to talk about it

4. Braves

I have a lot of HS coaches that ask me about a good winter workout program. I think that would be a great start. Some specific drills that you use at your school. If you want to dedicate to pitchers only--that's fine, but really anything you post will be excellent.

5. xpectus6

xpectus6 Full Access Member

Looks like a solid day of work, although there are a couple things I'm curious about. For one, what defines "the proper way to static stretch?" Also, why are you having players do the workout and then hit? Would it not be better to hit first and then do drills? Its my personal belief that doing the drills beforehand will wear the players muscles out and deteriorate mechanics and slow bat speed. And if the players aren't tired to the point their mechanics lessen, then they didn't push hard enough on the drills.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky, I just thought I'd offer some points to potentially better the camp. Looks like a great idea!

6. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

That event was planned 2 years ago, and can't remember if it took place, so your questions, while valid, are moot with regards to that particular workout.

7. Braves

Yes, this was 2 years ago. A lot of planning and organization went into this event. The reason for the timing of that particular drill was the instructor was available at that time. Everybody gave their time freely...the cost associated with the event was to pay for the food that was served to everyone----parents, kids, grandparents, players, coaches and pets.

After 2 years of doing this event, I decided not to compete with all of the colleges and organizations holding camps and tryouts the same day. The reason we did this in the first place was simply because nothing was going on in December and it gave us a chance to reward the players and their families with a neat event that was basically free. But with all of the timing and planning it takes to do this event, it was no longer worth the effort. I figured if families preferred to spend money going to camps where the coach wasn't even attending, so be it. But it was startling to find that families decided not to spend a day with current MLB scouts, former pro players, former college coaches and current college stars and basically for free...well, that was their choice.

8. stiksdad

stiksdad Full Access Member

Hate to hear you are not having the event I had hoped to bring my son this year. But I certainly understand.

9. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

ditto this ^ ... crazy not to take advantage of this opportunity. I never looked at the dates of the posts.

10. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

Boss... I yap about this all the time, and get a lot of criticism from within the community - my local and that of fellow "coaches" - as has been seen on this site. But the truth is, so many now are just "chasing a scholy". PERIOD. It's ludicrous. It's a shame. It's not about the game, or really getting better at it. It's about being seen and getting the scholarship. It's about ME - whomever that is. It's what showcase has turned us into.
    [Alright, I'm looking for a table to duck under. Have at me.:fryingpan:]