1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Wood bats vs Aluminum

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yeah, but your son's bats in the closet have no hits left in them...now mine...I wonder if anyone would buy the one's in his closet. He has plenty of hits left in them.

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Think of the bright side .... like me, you don't have to buy either bats or bat bags, just something to hold the cleats and gloves .... !!!!

3. playme

playme Full Access Member

do you realize the bat Babe Ruth used to hit the first home run at "Yankees Stadium" weighed around 45 ounces? it sold recently for over a million dollars..

approved aluminum bats are supposed to have a BESR (Bat Exit Speed Ratio) of 93 mph. and weight only 3 ounces less than length. yet they all advertise more "pop", more "trampoline effect", every year.

when a pitcher throws that 85+ mph fast ball, he is only 40 -45 feet from the batted ball at 93 mph. he is very, very vulnerable to getting hurt severly. in batting practice the thrower is at a less distance..even a batted ball into an L-screen is scary..a broken aluminum bat is even scarier hurling out toward 1st or 3d....i know of 1 kid who had to have his jaw wired back together from being hit during batting practice...

i don't know if every hs buys bats every year but i know at least 1 that buys 2 per year. if the cost is $250 per bat then that would be $500 that could be spent on wooden bats. there are as many wood bat companies as there are metal bat companies. Wood bat companies sell cheaper by the dozen and have seconds and overruns..and there will always be some kids who use their own bats regardless...

each year in NC there is a coaches meeting and this could be brought up for safety reasons..getting all the coaches to go along with it would be a challenge....how long will it be before pitchers are wearing face mask during a game? should they be wearing 1 during batting practice? how many kids have to be hurt before something is done? if you had a chance to do something about the safety side of it would you?

put the "crack" back in hs baseball..don't wait for the colleges to lead the way...do something for the safety of the kids...

4. Braves

Hey, playme...where have you been? No great discussions...no 7th inning--what do you do?-- Don't you realize that you have been greatly missed on this board?

Don't do that again :nono: :D

5. NCBBallFan

Playme ...

Ditto what Braves said ....

Do you have any news for us out of the great NW4A ??????

6. Braves

Willie Stargell used to swing a 40 oz. and Clemente would choke up on a 39...but for a long time Barry Bonds swung the lightest at 32.

Of course, NCbballfan remembers Babe's bat...he almost got hit by him with it.

7. NCBBallFan

... You just DON'T try and pitch him away .... gotta jam him so he kills the first baseman instead of the pitcher ........

8. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

I want to see the pitcher that lands 15 feet from the Rubber. :laugh1:

Just kidding..... i prefer Wood....

9. playme

playme Full Access Member

hey guys i've missed you all too...i have been around mostly reading and observing...

i have always thought wood should be used...metal should be used in a Nike "Ignite"...or Cleveland "Launcher"...

10. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

My favorite bat back at dear old RJR in the early 70's was a McCovey signature "Mac 44" 33" bat. Big barrel, easy to swing. I always tried to hide it. That barrel would probably be illegal today. As to pitchers being hurt by comebackers, an RJR pitcher back in '72 or '73 had his face shattered by a ball hit back at him with a wood bat. It seems to be more prevalent today, but it did happen with wood on occasion. Wood would be my choice today though. As said earlier, there is a proper way to hold a wood bat, or I was always led to believe there was, and we all strictly adhered to it.