1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

workouts and exercises for pitchers

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by mavsbaseball25, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Day-3

We start everyday with thera bands work before we do dynamic stretching.

Dynamic stretching 15 - 20 minutes.

At Walmart you can buy 2 1/2 lb soft med balls that are about the size of a grapefruit. You can use a baseball or even a 2 1/2 lb plate. You can also use a 5lb plate.

Start by having a ball in each hand.

T's - Standing raise your hands from your side and and form a T and then lower for 15 reps.
    Y's - Standing start with your hands in front together and then raise your arms out in a Y for 15 reps.
    Fronts - Standing start with your hands in front and raise them in front shoulder high for 15 reps.
    Repeat this for four sets.

With the balls in hand :quiet: arm circles - small circles to the front then back and then gradually work the circles larger to the front and then the back. 45 secs. 3 sets - This really will burn.

Plates or Med balls - This will be determined by how strong your players are and how long they have been working. Some guys will have to do this with a 5lb plate some guys will use a 25 or 35 lb plate. You can also use the med balls.

Snow men - Hold the plate or ball out in front of you as you stand. Draw a snow man out in front of you. Three big circles with the ball or plate. Start with the ball head high and draw the circle , then move straight out and draw a circle and then slightly lower and draw a circle. Now repeat this in the opposite direction. 2 sets

Figure 8's - Same exercise but now you will draw figure 8's out in front of you. This burns bigtime.

Back to the bands for a quick set.
    Rest 10 minutes

Hurdles / Ladder drills / Cone drills / Ball Drills

Start with 6 hurdles lined up together touching there should be very little room between the hurdles. Just enough to fit inside.

1- Step overs alternating feet. - Feet together lift the right leg straight up and then straight over the hurdle. Do not lift the leg around the hurdle this defeats the purpose of this. You are expanding the range of motion in the hips witch will allow you to gain stride length and better range of motion in the hips. It will burn and it will be tough. Bring the other leg up not around the hurdle and back down beside the other foot on the other side of the hurdle. Repeat until you clear all hurdles.
    2- Backwards step overs - You will be facing away from the first hurdle. You will lift the leg straight up and back down on the other side of the hurdle. Repeat and do not go around the hurdle. This is what many will try to do because it is what comes natural.
    3- Side step overs - Standing besides the hurdles raise your left leg straight up and over the hurdle. Then raise your right leg and bring it down beside the left leg on the other side of the hurdle. Again make sure you are going straight up and over and not out and around the hurdle.
    4- Over and unders - Side step as stated above the first hurdle and then step under the next and repeat. This is tough but great for flexibility and expanded range of motion in the hips. I love this one for catchers myself.
    5- Hurdle hops side by side - This is where you hop right leg over left leg over and continue to do so and then repeat. Remember to raise your leg over the hurdle up and over not out and around.

Ladder Drills - We do many of these but we always spring into the ladder and sprint out of the ladder. You can find many of these exercises on the internet. Too many to explain but I like stop and goes , iccky shuffle , ali shuffle , cross overs and in and outs.

There are about a million great drills you can do with cones for agility. We set them up and run three or four this day.

Again if we are going to long toss this day its done before and after we do our band work.

So Day 1 on Monday Day 2 Tues Day 3 Weds then Day 1 on Thurs and Day 2 on Friday. It goes like that.

Hey I am no expert. But the guys that have been consistent on this program have had tremendous results not only in improved speed and core strength but improved arm strength.

The key to me is to have a game plan. Have a work out and then work out. You have to be consistent and you have to train with intensity. All you need is one workout partner that is as dedicated as you are and your in business.

I wont kid you if you do this its going to be tough. But as it gets a little easier then increase your reps your time of reps and your wt on the plate or med ball.

We also do plyos and wrist rollers etc. But I like the guys to have about 20 minutes of personal time at night before they go to bed to do the little things we might not be hitting on that week. Have a 5lb plate take it and tie a cord to it. Drill a hole in a broomstick handle and tie that cord with the plate attached to it. Spend a little time each night rolling that up and down and reverse your grip on it as well. You will be surprised what that 15 minutes a night will do over a few months time. Or you can just play X box.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. andro

andro Full Access Member

Coach

Good for you guys!

I love to see pitchers working hard- It makes my heart beat.

3. NCbred

NCbred Junior Member

bands

Surprised I haven't seen this posted yet, but just a reminder to work the rubber bands. They'll strengthen your smaller muscles, which protect everything else. You won't bulk up and you won't gain velocity, but it will hopefully protect you from injury later on. Medicine balls are great for core strength.

4. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

Coach 27 - That is an excellent program. I may take a few things to add to that for my guys.

Andro is the best I have ever been around at increasing pitcher's velocity and getting them in an efficient and explosive delivery. I am including some names that are way up there in the college and professional circles.

mavsbaseball25 - if you are truly serious about seeing results and are dedicated to seeing this through for your son you need to go spend a day or two down in Belmont NC. You will leave with your head spinning from so much knowledge and have a serious amount of hard work ahead for you kid.